Thread: Dewalt Laminate Trimmer

Dewalt Laminate Trimmer

I need to upgrade my Harbor Freight laminate trimmer. I've been looking at the small Porter Cable, but Lowes lists the Dewalt at $80 on their web site. Anyone have one?

No dewalt here. Just five of the pc 7310's. Do a little shopping. Ebay, etc. They can be picked up for that $80.00 or less with a little waiting.
    Steve

Matt,
    I bought one on a whim 2 or so years ago and never got around to using it until a couple of months ago (after the warranty had expired). When I did, I found that the platform was not perpendicular to the bit and I couldn't adjust it so it was, resulting in a less than perfect edge. Check whatever you buy carefully--before the warranty runs out!!

I've got the DeWalt, and have used it fairly regularly for ten years or so. I use it for small bits, like a 1/8" roundover to break the edges of furniture parts, or a 1/8" straight bit to inlay stringing.

Mine, like Ted's, has a base which is not perpendicular to the bit. Also, the height adjustment is pretty awkward. However, every time I get irked with the thing and go look at the competitors, I conclude that the others are worse designs.

Fine Woodworking, maybe a year ago, had a review of a half dozen laminate trimmers, and concluded that most of them weren't very good -- including the DeWalt and the Porter Cable you mention. The only one the authors thought was reasonably good was one from Virutex. However, as the authors grimaced, that one costs $250.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 02-06-2005 at 11:54 AM.

A small city West of New Orleans call Westwego, Louisiana
    I have the PC and i'm pretty happy with it, haven't tried the Dewalt so i can't compare, but i do like my PC and use it a lot.
    Pete-- Deep in Cajun Country
    One Nation-- "Under GOD"

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...vingplane1.gif

I bought the PC in a kit sith several different bases. I also bought an extra trimmer by itself so I could keep two going at once on larger lamenate jobs. I really like the PC's. Easy to adjust the height on them. Only thing I dislike it getting the bit out of the collet.
    clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

I've got the Dewalt kit with the extra base units. Overall I'm happy with it. I haven't had the perpendicular bit problems that the others mentioned. It is a bit hard to adjust the depth of cut though. I've also had to replace the collet once.
    Use the fence Luke

Matt, I've been looking at laminate trimmers for a couple of weeks and have come to the conclusion that none of them are very good. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon and you'll see what I mean.

More negative reviews than any other type of tool. They all have similar problems with the bit not being perpendicular to the base and the PC gets lots of negative press because you can't get the bit out of the collet. A guy on Woodnet says he wrote to PC about it and their response was it's a design feature. Design feature? What the heck for? Just to frustrate and aggrvate the user? Also, it seems many don't have the bit centered in the opening of the base. Not a problem if you only use it as a laminate trimmer, but I want one to do inlay work.

The only one I've seen consistently good reviews on is the PC production laminate trimmer. It costs about 50 percent more than the rest, but everyone has good things to say about it.
    Dennis

Laminate trimmer

Matt,

I've had a REALLY cheap Ryobi for the past ten years or so. The height adjustment is kind of "by gosh and by golly". On the other hand, I've done a lot of flush and chamfered trimming and have never noticed any perpendicularity problem. My "customers" are VERY picky and would want a refund if everything isn't "perfect". They are all family, relatives and friends. They have never paid a dime for anything so my "Refund Department" is only staffed by two people on a 24/7/365 basis.

Being a "sap" saves me a lot of money on payroll taxes and unemployment benefits. I just might be the next Donald Trump with my business acumen.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

I've got the DeWalt at home and the PC at work. I like both. I got the DeWalt with the extra bases and really only use the right regular base for the most part.

I decided to pick up a Dewalt. I charged it so that I can return it easily if needed. I check square and it was off, but only on one side. I then realized that the plastic base was WAY out of flat. I took it off and checked square off the machined bosses on the metal base. It appears acceptable. I'm debating whether to return it, or keep it and make a new base from 1/4" clear plastic. Sounds like I may have similar problems with the PC 3710 and I don't want to spend the money for the PC production trimmer.

I saw a review of the Festool laminate trimmer about a year or so ago in Furn. and Cabinetmaking, a UK journal that got too expensive. I don't recall the price right now, but I do recall being impressed by it, and prices usually don't bother me that much. Maybe about $450 or so. But, that said, it did get quite a good review, as would be expected.
    Alan

I heard good things about the Makita (I think 3708 or something like that).
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

I have the Dewalt trimmer. I have problems adjusting the depth every time I use it. Usally have to use screwdriver to force turn thumbwheel. I've cleaned screw, oiled, even took out and chased threads with die, still stiff to adjust. Havent used the PC but I would try it in a heartbeat. As for the cost of the higher end PC, I've found out over the years you definatley? get what you pay for.