Thread: G0453z-again

G0453z-again

I've been doing alot of reading on the site about the G0453Z planer compared to it's counter part the G0453p with straight knives. I know, it's been beat to death, but I haven’t really seen this question addressed. What I'd like feed back on is the longevity of the indexable carbide inserts used in the cutter head. Specifically how much cutting a guy can expect before having to replace the inserts because all four sides have become dull. Assuming no damage due to nails, etc. It looks like it would run around $350.00, less shipping to replace all of them. Do you start seeing more distinct lines as they get duller? Do you turn them one at a time, or address each one as it show dullness? Thanks for any feed back from those that have been using this type of cutter head for awhile.

Blog Entries
    I have the G0453Z. Part of what made it unquestionably obvious that the insert head pays for itself over time was my G0490X purchased a couple years prior. After a couple years of use I am still on the first edge of the jointer's four-sided inserts. Based on my previous knifed machine, I would have sharpened a set of knives to extinction and purchased a second set by now. I expect to get similar life from the planer but, that's just been my experience with carbide insert heads.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great questions Curt! I just changed out my G0453 with straight knives to the spiral cutterhead and I'm looking forward to the answers others have.

I haven't read any articles that discuss which type lasts longer, but there's plenty of anecdotal info floating around indicating the spiral cutters have a long life. The spiral cutter will produce far less tearout on figured wood, and will run MUCH quieter than knives. I've run lots of hard maple and some teak on my G0453X over the last 18 mos with no sign of the cutters dulling (I haven't rotated them).
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

These are carbide so they will last longer, mine are on round one still and it cuts really well. I'm guessing I have 2 to 3k board feet of red oak run through mine. Whats nice is if you get a nick in a couple just rotate those and your backin business. I think its a good investment and getting it from the beginning is definately cheaper.

Regards!
    Ed

Thanks for the feed back guys. Sounds like the spiral cutterhead is the ticket.