Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I talked to Jim Adkins today...

I talked to Jim Adkins today...

and we had a good long talk about lots of things turning. Jim always amazes me with his willingness to share his knowledge and experience. When he says "no secrets" he means it. I mentioned to Jim that with so many views of his fine tutorial (over 3,000) I wondered how many of us "Creekers" have attempted to duplicate his style of basket illusion work. Jim had no idea, so here's the question; how many have given this a try?? Since I'm asking the question, I'll start things off showing my first three "attempts". Since my visit with Jim back in early March I haven't done a whole lot of turning, but I have done a lot of burning and dyeing...and head scratching...and having my eyes cross from all this detail. Anyway here are mine- show us yours.
    006.jpg007.jpg005.jpg

WOW! Richard you obviously take instruction well... I think all three are beautiful. I haven't tried the technique yet, but if I ever do, I'd be very happy if mine turned out even half as good as those three.

I've stalled since I was diagnosed...but have my plate cut and most of the accessories built...it just a matter of time.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is amazing and eyecrossing to me Richard! I have roughed out a couple plain holly bowls that are drying and hope to do something with in a year or so but they certainly won't look anything like yours! Great job!

Richard, my gosh, why have you been holding out on us?!?!? These look fantastic! Great stuff, and very impressive. Looks like you even have the rim treatment down.

My progress is easy to define - I have a piece of maple set aside. That's it - just a piece of wood!

Wow - those are beyond impressive! Looks like you figured everything out and jumped right in! Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing where this leads you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Holy smokes Mr Madden. You have all my admiration. I couldn't do a 3" diameter piece...let alone 3 full sized ones. And you've done them beautifully. I tip my hat sir.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I must say Richard those are just outstanding. Looks like you got it down for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Really nice work! I admire Jim's pieces very much, but they are in the "I'll try that someday" category for me. I have a lot of learning to get to that point.

Great pieces, Richard!! I'm always in awe of people who have the patience for such detailed works.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Richard...your work is superb...I'm sure Jim would agree. Beauties...all three.
    Would like to try some day...some day. So many techniques...too few days.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

OH, My Gosh!!.....Where have I seen work like this before?? I'm impressed with these three pieces Richard and also very proud to have been small a part of it. You did good! I think you should submit a photo of your work to Packard Woodturning for possible use as catalogue cover material.

Keep turning, burning & dyeing!
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

An endorsement from the master. It don't get no gooder than that!!!

Yer a good man Jim Adkins
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jim A. is an excellent example of a classy Dude. His demos tell all, except the time and and patience, skillset and new tools, etc. that are required to emulate his products!

Looks like an example of when a great teacher is blessed to teach a talented student. Magnificent work. I am not sure others can match up to this quality, but it surly gives us all a great example to shoot for.
    Member Illiana Woodturners