Thread: Installing a Byrd Shelix Cutterhead in 15" jet planer

Installing a Byrd Shelix Cutterhead in 15" jet planer

I'm getting ready to install the Shelix Cutterhead and other then replacing the sealed bearings should I pre-order anything else. I know the directions call to remove a dust or oil seal on the gear box side.

Also for tools I have 2 gear pullers I've used for odd car repairs. any other tools to get.

If anyone is looking to buy. I found the Jet uses the same head as the grizzly and buying from Amazon really saved on price.

thanks for any advice.

Joe

bump - I'm curious too since occasional 15" planers show up on CL.

I am going to watch this thread and hope there are good replies. I also have a 15" jet and am considering changing the head.

You might want to have some spare gear oil and a method for getting the oil back in, like a pump or special funnel. A dead blow hammer is handy. Also leather gloves. It's not really that difficult, although it will take several hours. Just lay everything out in a clear order, perhaps take some photos so you remember what the assemblies are supposed to look like. Have fun.

I put a Byrd head in my PM 15 a few months ago. It was a pretty straightforward process, but now there is a very faint 'clicking' sound. When I turn it by hand, it makes a slight click every full revolution or so, and is obviously amplified when running. I think it is on the end with the gearbox, so I'm assuming it's going on in there. I replaced both bearings with new ones from Holbren, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Kinda hesitant to run it at this point...

Either way, if yours is anything like mine, just take your time and have plenty of room to lay everything out, it's pretty easy...

I did mine several years ago and as the others have said, it's pretty straightforward. If the helical head doesn't come wrapped in cardboard, it's a good idea to do so as it makes handling it much easier. Otherwise it should just be a one afternoon job for one guy.

Saving your fingers from injury is half the battle in this installation. As said, wrap BOTH heads, new and old, in cardboard. Wear leather gloves when handling either. No sudden moves! Knives can slice right through leather in a heartbeat. But, I suppose a trip to the ER would be preferable to dropping a brand new spiral insert head on a concrete floor!

As many b'zillion times as this operation has been addressed in this forum, I am quite surprised no one has offered up a "how-to" video for the OP's perusal. Here are a couple I found in a 60 second Google search. Maybe there are more/better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smas3oJ8xLw

http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/673285106
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 05-16-2011 at 2:34 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I did the Grizzly Spiral on my Grizzly 15" planer not long ago. Definately get new bearings. The old ones should be fine but the price is worth saving the aggravation. Especially the bearing that seats in the gearbox which was a nightmare for me. I ended up having to take it to a machine shop to get it out and that one was ruined as a result. Add new gear oil before mounting the gearbox back onto the planer and be careful on adjusting everything. The set screws aren't Grade 8 so they are soft and will break easily if not enough care is given. Also make sure you have a good dial indicator setup for the adjustments. Other than that, it's straight forward stuff. Plan on 4-5 hours of your time to complete the changeover.

Here's a link to the instructions on my site that may help if you don't have it already.

http://www.holbren.com/misc/1520manual.pdf

Brian, Rob or others,

Thanks so much for the info. I had already downloaded the instructions from Byrd. None really seem to talk about setup afterwards? Once the heads in do I need to adjusted it to the table or worry about readjusting the infeed or outfeed tables.

thanks, I will take a few pictures. The head I got was not wrapped in cardboard so I will do that before starting as well as grab some leather gloves.

Joe

It's been a few weeks but I finally got around to installing the head in my planer. The instructions listed on the holbren and Byrd site do a good job but personally I found it a bit more tricky then the instructions point out. If your looking to do this yourself and don't have experience dealing with bearings and seals I would get help. The issue I had was when pulling the case apart to remove the old head it didn't split apart per the instructions. I ended up needing to pull to of the gears from one side of the case and also press back a few others. All of this is very doable but it sure was made easier by having a friends who works on car transmissions. He used a hammer and a set of dies in different sizes to press everything in.

It tool me about 2 hours to pull the head and gear box, another hour for my buddy fit the new head and I reassembled it the next day. I put regular car gear oil 75/90 into it and did not reuse the old oil per there instructions.

I used it this weekend and I'm really happy. It cuts like butter and cut the noise down by 1/2.

Joe