Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$$$Cermark$$$$

$$$$Cermark$$$$

Does anyone know of an alternative to Cermark that isn't as expensive?

If you search through using the search engine you will find plenty of suggestions in previous posts.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Dane

Once you get involved with the process you'll not think Cermark is expensive. I think it's one of the great bargains on the market. The little jar that I bought for about $150 will return well over $7,000. Buy the bulk rather than the spray can for better economy.

I'm doing a $1500 job today that won't use more than 4 tablespoons of my diluted solution.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree with Mike. Cermark is only expensive when you don't have a job for it. Once you have work for it, it will flat out make you some good money.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have tried several alternatives and will stand behind Cermark. The main reason is reliability. You know what you are going to get. And as Mike said, the price is not high if you figure it out at a per use rate... especially if you get a couple of free samples!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I used to hate working with it. Now that I have the settings down and how to apply [that best works for me] I love it. Any alternate/homemade solution will not yield as good of a result and will take more effort to perfect. Trust me...
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Blog Entries
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the info. I had already done a search but most of those threads were fairly old. I thought maybe something new had hit the streets that I was unaware of.

A short fuse job (I hate those) came in this morning shortly after I posted this question. Since I live in Popcornfarte, TX and can't just go pick some Cermark up locally, I may have to go the $20/year p.o.p. route this time.

Every once in a while someone suggests an inexpensive alternative to Cermark; there is a lot of initial enthusiasm, people try lots of experiments, and then it seems to die. Although it can be possible to get a mark to "stick" using alternative solutions, I don't think anyone has really come up with an inexpensive alternative that works as well as Cermark. Most of us don't have the lab requirements nor the access to chemicals that would be necessary to do any real research in this area. And it may end up violating Ferro patents.

Ferro marketing made a mistake with some of their advertising some years ago by telling people both how good Cermark was and how it costs hundreds of dollars a pound for the material. (Not that most people purchased that much at a time.) That seems to have left a perception that it was very expensive to use. But as other members have suggested - you need to look at the big picture.

Sublimation inks are also very expensive. Why do people still buy them? Because they can still make money with them. And the manufacturers know that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    Sublimation inks are also very expensive. Why do people still buy them? Because they can still make money with them. And the manufacturers know that.
    I would posit that they're expensive because there are few (no?) reasonable (legal?) alternatives... same with standard printer ink when the companies started chipping their cartridges for single use only. Market pricing being what it is, and all...

If sub inks are expensive or cheap, it probably doesn't matter... the money to be made is in the final product, not the ink itself. Granted, a more expensive ink will mean lower number of garage-based manufactured products, but the ink cost is roughly the same for everyone, a fixed cost.

Same with Cermark and POP alternatives... one's cheap, one's expensive, but so little is used the fixed cost per item is essentially the same (and practically zero). When you step back and look at the cost of material used, the cost comes in with the extra application work involved, and it's that cost that leads to higher cost of final product. Since some don't want to do the extra work, those who do can charge a premium for offering the service, i.e., we make money.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

One more vote for Cermark. You can make back the cost of Cermark pretty quickly.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

You know, around here they make maple syrup which is fantastic... and they are getting $40-50 per gallon... AND selling out fast! It's all in the supply and demand for any product. I don't begrudge Ferro a penny. Their product does what they say it will and nobody is forcing you to buy it. But when you want it you can get it, they ship quickly, which is good enough for me!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Fuller View Post
    Since I live in Popcornfarte, TX and can't just go pick some Cermark up locally
    Wow, that far, huh?!
    You can buy it from a place in Arlington, TX and have it shipped to you and get it the next day. PM me and I will tell you where to get it. ;-)
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

I haven't worked with it since they improved it. "Invested" $100 or so in a bottle then set up an airbrush
    and couldn't get it to work reasonably and consistantly. When they came out with their new and improved
    version a few years back, I believe they initially offed a 25% discount. I called and asked if I could return
    the old product that I couldn't get to work to try the new version one word NO. So to make a long story longer I don't use it. Instead of bringing a new customer into the fold they lost one.

I don't know I guess I'm getting cratchety in my old age, but I have started to quit dealing with
    those that don't meet expatations for good service. There are a handful of vendors out there that go the extra
    step to make sure everthing is right there are many more that really don't care. I know
    many here have had good luck with the product so that's great. Maybe I just got a salesman
    on a bad day.

As you can see many have tried to come up with different formulas but they never withstand the test
    of time. So as others have said if you can make money with it I guess it's worth it.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary and Jessica Houghton View Post
    Wow, that far, huh?!
    You can buy it from a place in Arlington, TX and have it shipped to you and get it the next day. PM me and I will tell you where to get it. ;-)
    Thanks. PM sent.

I thank all of you for the advise. I don't mind paying for something as long as it works as advertised. This particular project was a quick turn type of thing and I just didn't have time to get cermark in here. I'm sure that I'll be using the name brand stuff in the future.