Thread: Hardening Keystock

Hardening Keystock

Can anyone here tell me if standard steel key stock can be hardened using the drill press, torch and oil method. I went through my old MH and cannot find reference to 'key stock' material. I'm trying to build a gooseneck style turning tool for use with replaceable tool bits. I'd like to get a fifteen or 20 thousandth case on the tool. Any info on color to heat to, etc, would be greatly appreciated. A definitive 'can't be done' would help too. I don't want the thing to break and damage me or the lathe. I've made a lot of things with steel, but was not too involved with the HT aspect.
    Thanks
    Mickey

Standard key stock does not have enough carbon to harden well, it will still be pretty soft afterwards. It could be case hardened but that process is too much trouble for a tool bit.

Thanks Dennis, but I'm not making bits...I'm playing with making a holder for small pieces of HSS, and carbide I've collected over the years.

You can case harden your key stock if you buy a product called Kasenit. I'm pretty sure you can buy it from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. The stuff is pretty easy to use but might be a little expensive.

It's the only way I know of to case harden low carbon steel without getting into expensive equipment and chemicals.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Thanks Jerry, that's not what I had in mind, but it seems like it would work better...and I can leave parts unhardened/untreated.
    Mick

If you just want something tougher, look for tougher keystock. Maybe something like 4140 material, or A2, or O1. All can be hardened, but all are pretty darn tough on their own. A2 is air hardening, O1 is oil hardening.

Mcmaster sells them all. If you just need a little tougher, I'd look at the 4140. You can heat treat it if it turns out not being hard enough.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.