Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much time do you spend watching TV?

How much time do you spend watching TV?

I heard a statistic that the average person will have spent a total of 9 years in front of a TV by the time they are 64 years old.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I know a lot of people that do.

How much could we accomplish in the shop if we spent 9 years there instead of in front of the TV. I would think that getting that kind of experience would allow any one of us to produce museum quality pieces.

I would like to look back on my life and have something to show for it rather than just being able to say "I watched every episode of _________".

p.s. I think I would have to mortgage my house to buy 9 years worth of wood. lol

On average I would guess I watch TV about 4 hours per week.

Most of the time the TV is not even turned on.

We do not have cable TV - by choice

We do have netflix streaming

We have the tv or radio on a lot more than we watch or listen to them. I'd say an average of about 2 hours a day watching tv and a couple of hours listening to radio. Less time on weekends unless it's football season. We (wife and I) listen to a lot radio sports call-in (hardly any music and no political talk). I actually spend more time listening to radio (2 hrs home to work and work to home) than watching tv. I'd hate to think how much time I spend with the tv, radio, and messing on the computer combined. Probably about half my life. I guess that's not a good thing, but it's what I'm doing.

I watch a couple of mysteries, Antiques Road Show once in awhile and football--no daytime tv and no radio at all. My work involves the computer so I am on it many hours a day.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

As a child I used to watch a fair amount of TV. I'm not sure how much but basically my brothers and I would run around outside playing in the woods or at the park until we got tired and then come in and watch TV. Now as an adult I don't watch Tv except for movies. Like Leo my family doesn't have cable (we would rather spend our money elsewhere) but we do have Netflix streaming. So when a good movie comes out on Netflix we will watch it. Although, some of the time that I used to spend watching Tv has been replaced with surfing the internet like SMC.

TV wasn't even available till I was 13. In those days (round screen, black and white) with only 2 channels available we spent evenings as a family watching the new toy. These days, the only thing I watch is baseball, and that not very much. There is too much else to do in life to spend it vegging out in front of a flickering light tube.

No cable but we do have a Blue ray player----------1 hour a day. Eat dinner in front of the TV, just finished watching "House"
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

News and some football. Maybe an hour per day avg. Usually pickin' the guitar while I'm watching.

Not as much as I used to. Now I spend most evenings checkin email and reading user forums. Sawmill Creek first of course.

I hope this is still within the spirit of the thread. About 2 years ago my wife and I took one of my daughters, her husband, and three kids to a state park in Tennessee for a weekend.

We stayed in a "primitive" cabin that had electricity and water, but no tv, radio, or internet service. I can't remember if it had a land line phone (think it did), but cell service was terrible. The weekend felt like a month, particularly to the adults. Seemed the kids (ages 3, 6, and 8 at the time) adjusted better. I missed tv service mostly but the other adults missed internet and cell more. I'd never miss cell service though.

Blog Entries
    Like Gary, I have no cable (you spend how much to watch commercials!?!) dish or antenna. I have probably watched about 20 hours of TV per year for the last 15 years or so if you don't count DVD's or other purposely planned watching media ;-) I have so much more to do . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don't know really... I can't just sit and stare at the TV. I'm usually doing something else at the same time. I'm watching the NASCAR race even as I type this... Actual uninterrupted TV time is maybe 1 or 2 hours a week, maybe a little more if we decide to watch a movie.

Actually watch TV? Not very much. News in the evening usually is about it except for pro and college football and college basketball. Sometimes I enjoy HGTV, DIY or woodworking shows Having it on is another story. I need noise, TV or radio or internet radio or stereo on all the time. LOML would like total silence 24/7. I on the other hand start climbing the walls after 10 minutes of total silence. I may have no idea of what is going on--but I want it on. Crazy huh?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I don't have the attention span for TV.

Sitting there idle with no interaction with the content other than switching channels is hard for me. Not to mention the commercials which are so dumbed down they are an insult anyone who completed first grade.

We do like to catch a few minutes of local news, but head to the bedroom before the endless couch and big truck commercials ...

-Steve

Zero.

I don't own a TV and haven't had one in the house since '84. Even then we just watched MTV.

I'd say the last time I actually "watched " TV was '78, before I went in the Navy, at my parents house.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)