Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need shoulder plane advice!

Paul, I really like that small LN shoulder plane, too, the one that looks like the Preston/Clifton; but unfortunately, LN no longer sells it. The only problem it had was humidity, which could cause the wedge to swell a bit and refuse to seat properly. I wonder if the new, small version is better in this regard.

I also like the huge LN version. With the two of them, I find I never reach for the middle sized HNT anymore.

Pam

Jim,

Now *what* was your Visa card number, once again? <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I have both the LN small and large shoulder planes. I am definitly more fond of the small, but i have to this day never quite figured out a comfortable way to hold the large, nor have I figured out how to hold he small without busting my knuckles. While i have never used th LV varient, in theory it looks easier to hold and use.

Call me shallow, but since the neander tools are used for my fun projects, the "pretty" factor beat out the practical, so i still wouldn't go to the LV if i had it to do over again. :-)

I have the large LN. It is big and heavy - perfect!! I use it mainly for it's namesake task - shoulders on tenons. In this application, the plane is laying on its side on the tenon's cheek, with the blade to the shoulder [obviously]. One hand holds the plane to the shoulder, and the other hand's index + middle fingers hook in the large round-ish opening in the plane body, and pulls it across the shoulder.

I like the feel of the plane on a "pull" stroke, so I also use it that way when I need to stand it up beside the shoulder to tune up the cheek itself - but I generally don't use it on the rest of the cheek - Mr LA Block gets that job, or the router plane [and a cheek float got here the other day, so I'm going to try that out soon]. There are rare occasions where I have a long rabbet that was cut on the TS [like, for drawer bottoms]. In that case, I stand it up and pull if I can - if I can't, then my hand can fit around the brass handle good enough [pretty much like the photo in the Schwarz article] - just a couple strokes to clean up the TS blade scores.

I now use it on virtually very tenon I cut - it's set for a very thin cut and the mouth closed way down - a nice, quick, clean surface.

Credit where it is due - somewhere in the wealth of information he has available on his site, Derek Cohen has a thing on tenons - that was a eureka moment for me with the shoulder plane - and also caused an LN large router plane to arrive right away.

I have no experience with the LV shoulder plane[s], so cannot comment on them. Also - for what I use it for, I've always had a suspiscion that the medium might work a bit better than the large, but I haven't gotten far enough down the "nothing else left to buy" list to spend the $$ to find out.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Larry - I have, at last count, 8 shoulder planes. 4 of them are occasional-use collector's items by Mathieson, Norris, & Spiers, 4 of them are shop tools (the lie-nielsen series). I used to have one of the Veritas shoulder planes, which I sold because I didn't like the non-traditional look. But there was nothing wrong with the function, fit or finish of the plane.

So what I can comment on is that there is no "best" one, regardless of who you are, especially when it comes to shoulder planes. The "why" to that statement is that Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley, and Clifton will stand behind their product if there's a defect, and all three make very high quality tools.

But the critical thing to realize here is that a shoulder plane is a very occasionally used tool, and when it's needed, it's never needed for long. What that means is that grip comfort really doesn't matter all that much, nor does ease of adjustment. It matters that the adjustment will hold once it's set, and it matters that the mouth is relatively tight, but that's about it. You might have some folks chime in that they use their shoulder plane all the time, but that's not actually true relative to the other tools in their shop unless they specialize in cutting tenons in spare boards and are also really bad at it. That's because ideally you shouldn't have to use a shoulder plane - your tenons should fit from the saw. Even the best of us cannot live up to that standard, though, so shoulder planes are there when you need them. And theoretically, you can use them to cut rabbets and adjust dados, but they are not the best tools for those jobs.

So - the advice here is to just pick whichever L-N, Lee Valley or Clifton tool appeals to you on the basis of looks, buy a size that's fairly close to the scale that you work (medium's a good start), and don't let yourself get sucked into the "paralysis by analysis" mentality that sometimes afflicts us in the age of too-much-information.

Blog Entries
    Now *what* was your Visa card number, once again? <g>
    Bridge City was brought up before looking at their web site. They used to make a model that was more reasonable. One time while at an LN tool event it was my pleasure to use one. It was amazing. Then it was only about $600 in bronze. When I decided to look it up before posting, I was shocked.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Bridge City was brought up before looking at their web site. They used to make a model that was more reasonable. One time while at an LN tool event it was my pleasure to use one. It was amazing. Then it was only about $600 in bronze. When I decided to look it up before posting, I was shocked.

jtk

That's the cheap model. This is the one you need.
    http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...der-plane.html
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    Paul, I really like that small LN shoulder plane, too, the one that looks like the Preston/Clifton; but unfortunately, LN no longer sells it. The only problem it had was humidity, which could cause the wedge to swell a bit and refuse to seat properly. I wonder if the new, small version is better in this regard.

I also like the huge LN version. With the two of them, I find I never reach for the middle sized HNT anymore.

Pam
    Pam,

The small LN I have is the newer version with out the wooden wedge (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=041 ) . They still sell the bronze shoulder plane that is a real small plane with a wooden wedge. The one I have is based of the record model.

I have a LV medium shoulder plane and like it very much. I tried the LN and did not care for it.

Shoulder planes and chip clearance

I use a LV medium to fit tenons (I can't cut a straight cheek, yet).

The LV never jams, and feels solid through the cut.

I have a larger Primus (ECE) shoulder plane for wider shoulders and it jams constantly.
    The ECE has a convoluted cap iron assembly that works well when it's set up right.

Keeping it set is a PITA.

Who has time to twiddle with tools?

My 2 cents? You can't decide unless you hold it in your hands.

They're both terrific tools, and run without the cap iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feltner View Post
    The Veritas being made in Canada doesn't bother me nearly as much as something made over seas. (snip)
    Hi Larry -

If it helps - that plane is cast in the USA, and is manufactured using a suite of Made in USA machine tools - more than a million dollars' worth, in fact....

While still separate economies - Canada and the USA are still each others largest trading partners... and have the largest bilateral trading relationship in the world. We keep y'all employed, and you keep us employed. It's truly an example of "what goes around, comes around..."

Just sayin'.....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    The small LN I have is the newer version with out the wooden wedge (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=041 ) . They still sell the bronze shoulder plane that is a real small plane with a wooden wedge. The one I have is based of the record model.
    Oops, thanks, Paul. The small one with wooden wedge being sold today is not the one I have.

Pam

Rob,

Thanks for the information. I have several Veritas products and really love all of them. I just placed an order for the medium shoulder plane. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I really appreciate the expertise on this site. It's really valuable for people like myself who are trying to learn, but lack the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Larry -

If it helps - that plane is cast in the USA, and is manufactured using a suite of Made in USA machine tools - more than a million dollars' worth, in fact....

While still separate economies - Canada and the USA are still each others largest trading partners... and have the largest bilateral trading relationship in the world. We keep y'all employed, and you keep us employed. It's truly an example of "what goes around, comes around..."

Just sayin'.....

Cheers -

Rob
    I could not agree more. Of course I live 20 minutes from the Largest traffic US/Canada border crossing (Detroit/Windsor) and one hour from the second largest border crossing (Port Huron/Sarnia). Also working in the Auto industry, it's obvious how intertwined the economies are. This makes me a little biased but I think more toward North American than USA. I liked Rob's subtle comment "still separate economies"... sound ominous.

Back on point. I have the LV family of shoulder planes. The medium is my favorite, but the small is very comfortable and I have large hands. I can't comment on the LN, as I've never tried them.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    That's the cheap model. This is the one you need.
    http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...der-plane.html
    Yikes. I think I'd find a couple of old infill shoulders for that instead.