Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking for help with a template

Newbie Looking for help with a template

Hello All...

I have a question.... Say I find an item that I would like to engrave and I want to use a template for Corel to engrave these types of items in the future.. How do you make a template for the item especially if it is of a wierd shaped item that is not easily recreated in Corel? Is there a way to scan the item and make an outline of it somehow?

Thanks!
    Wayne
    2016 Epilog Fusion32 60 Watt / Corel X6 / Sublimation System / Roland VersaCamm VS540i /

Wayne,

Welcome to the Creek, and yes, you can make a template from a scan using CorelDraw basic tools.

1. Import your scan to CorelDraw and lock it
    2. Use the Freehand Drawing tool. Click on a starting point right on top of your scan and then double click wherever there is a key direction change. Use as few points as possible, you can always add more later. Don't worry about getting it too perfect or following curves, you will adjust next. Close the shape by clicking on the first point.
    3. Use the Bezier or Shape tool next. Select All, then convert to curves using the button at the top of the page.
    4. Move the lines by grabbing them with your pointer. You can also select a point (node) and pull the arrows. Try to center the nodes and lines on your scan lines to maintain the original shape.
    5. To add or remove a node, double click where you want the change.
    6. When you think you are finished, group the lines and move them away from the scan to see if it's right. If not, UNDO move and UNGROUP so you can do more work. If you don't group, you stand a chance of messing up your stuff.
    7. If you want to raster your template, change the line to .5 or 1 point instead of hairline (which will cut)

This is a basic skill that you will use all the time once you get used to it, for templates, designs, silhouetting photos, and also for editing text, traces or clipart converted to paths.

Take heart, this sounds worse than it is!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

3. Dee!
    I use the same method ;-)
    Some samples of wineboxes with local historical buildings:

Blog Entries
    Wayne,

If you're looking strictly for an outline, convert the image to pure B&W, then tweak the contrast until the image you care about is all black. Then run the Outline tool. Done.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dee.. your explanation made more sense than the tutorial I just bought explaining
    the same things. Often those tutorials don't tell you WHY you do something, or
    they do other things in the background that they're not telling you about. Or
    they do it so fast that you can't tell what they did. (or WHY)
    I'm one of those people who, if I understand the WHY, you won't have to
    explain the WHAT to me again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    Dee.. your explanation made more sense than the tutorial I just bought explaining
    the same things. Often those tutorials don't tell you WHY you do something, or
    they do other things in the background that they're not telling you about. Or
    they do it so fast that you can't tell what they did. (or WHY)
    I'm one of those people who, if I understand the WHY, you won't have to
    explain the WHAT to me again. Thanks!
    Thanks, Chuck. 30 years of teaching & explaining procedures to crackheads makes you get to the essentials as simply as possible.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Laserheads . . . crackheads . . . yeah, we're all addicted to something.

Great tutorial Dee!
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 05-04-2011 at 6:47 AM. Reason: spelling

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

so ... what?? Dee's calling me a crackhead now?
    I'm taking my marbles and going home!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    so ... what?? Dee's calling me a crackhead now?
    I'm taking my marbles and going home!
    No, Chuck, I didn't say you ARE a crackhead, only LIKE a crackhead... hahaha But you might have left some of your marbles at my house so it's not really your fault. Come on back over and we'll have a nice cup of coffee and some cake!

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    No, Chuck, I didn't say you ARE a crackhead, only LIKE a crackhead... hahaha But you might have left some of your marbles at my house so it's not really your fault. Come on back over and we'll have a nice cup of coffee and some cake!
    Poor Chuck lost his marbles a long time ago.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

and Neil will try to sell them back to me.

Dee.. if you were a few hundred miles closer *I'd* be your apprentice.

Hey .. look at that.. three posts in a row by the three people who owned the
    same Compucarve..

Blog Entries
    I have first dibs on Dee if she ever decides to move closer to our nation's capitol... sorry, Dee, you've been spoken for (whether you like it or not... your husband will just have to deal with it).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'll be in DC for a family reunion at the end of June...tell your wife, Dan!

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I'll be in DC for a family reunion at the end of June...tell your wife, Dan!
    And You Tube it when you do . . . I want to watch!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

What happens in YouTube STAYS in YouTube