Thread: Dining table - little help needed

Dining table - little help needed

I've been building a farmhouse style dining table for my wife. The base is complete and Im about to start on the top. The top will be walnut and ive cut my roughsawn boards down to rough length but need a little advise on milling them as she wants the top and outer sides to be a little rough.

The image below is kind of what im working towards so my plan is to surface one face (eventually the bottom) of each board and both sides, except for the outermost boards which I will just joint one edge. Instead of then running the second face thru the planer, my plan is to plane them down to near thickness with my cambered #5 then use my ROS to get them "finished".

My thought is that finishing the 'bottom' face of each board will give me one plane that will rest level on my base but let the top still be 'rough'. Am I approaching this the correct way?

Thanks for reading my post and in advance for any insight you might have!
    Ken

prod1605030_av5.jpg

Ken, I see no problem with your plan. With a good sharp plane you may get the surface you want without the sanding.

Thanks Tom. I too think I can do exactly that with a scrub plan followed by a #5