Thread: General International 25-300 vs. Jet 1220VS

General International 25-300 vs. Jet 1220VS

I am new to woodturning and am considering my first lathe. Since I live outside the US, I don't have a huge number of choices. I am strongly considering the General International 25-300 (http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...he/25-300.html), based upon price, features, available, and local service. The other alternative would be a Jet 1220VS ((http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...product=273524), which I would probably have to fit with an extension as well as stand. While I am favoring the General International because of its power, weight, and outboard turning ability, I have not seen many reviews of the machine. Does anyone have any experience with General international in general or the 25-300 in particular? Any advice??? -Ron

I have not used the General International lathes but based on the specs this is a lot more lathe than the 1220VS. I have a 1220 and like it but it does not stack up against all the features of this General.

I bought the GI 25-260 about 4 months ago and love it. It's a well built machine. I have turned a few 16" bowls with no problems.
    Not sure what kind of prices you have been quoted, but shop around, I wound up paying $1850 for the 25-260 (16"swing), which is about the price for the 25-300(14" swing).
    Good luck.

I bought a GI 25-114 midi lathe in February and it seems like a very nice little machine. The largest diameter bowl I have turned on it so far is 10" but I am quite happy with it so far.

Take care
    Bob

I would think either one would be a good deal. The general may be a little better since you will have good support for it up there.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I did a demo on that General about 2yrs. ago and it's a lot more lathe than the miniJet, but don't know price comparison. Buy the largest swing capacity lathe that you can afford so that you won't outgrow it so quickly, and find yourself wishing for a larger lathe in a few weeks. Don't ask me how I learned that, 7 lathes ago!

Thank you to everyone for their advice. I decided to go with the General International. I was able to get a good price and am beginning to have a blast with it. -Ron