Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some People are So Organized

Belinda
    Yes Boeing does the same. You have to push a 400 lb roll-away to any job you are going to work. Then after job's complete do a inventory all 200 tools stored in toolbox. B747-8, B777-300 & 777-200F, and B767-300 and coming soon to PDX B787. Tom PS I'm lucky I do not have to do the inventory.

I agree, some people are just ridiculous about shop organization!

photo-1.jpgphoto-2.jpgphoto-3.jpgphoto-4.jpg

Uh, I just thought you might want to see what they look like when they are full...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nathanson View Post
    I agree, some people are just ridiculous about shop organization!

photo-1.jpgphoto-2.jpgphoto-3.jpgphoto-4.jpg

Uh, I just thought you might want to see what they look like when they are full...
    Very cool. I assume you had to pay someone to cut the foam? What happens when you decide to add a tool, or you break something and the replacement isn't quite the same? (You shouldn't lose anything with this system in theory at least.)

People who know me know that I seldom pay anyone to do something for my shop because I'm tigh, er, chea, er, frugal.

I cut it by hand, first with artist's paper (thick stuff) spray glued to the foam to trace the tools onto, then cut out with an x-acto knife, and finally routed out with a dremel router and a pointy, long, diamond-grit bit, using the paper as a rub template, which actually works surprisingly well. After that, I just laminated the black and red pieces together with a heat gun.

If I add a tool, it's easy. I just have to get another Snap-On box, and then... OK. Not CHEAP, but relatively easy!

This box is pretty much full, and most of the tools are pretty established sizewise, so breakage, at least so far, hasn't been a problem. I'm sure it will be someday, and then I'll just take the dremel out and start over.

Hmm... Now where the heck did I put it?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    In the science fo manufacturing operations improvements, there is a big set of knowledge - many, many bookshelves full, some are even by guys that know what they are talking about..
    If they were applying science to manufacturing operations, it looks like they'd come up with more sophisticated tools that ones that fit into that foam. What sophisticated manufacturing is being done with a set of hand chisels, an awl and a ball peen hammer?

Oh my i can relate. Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nathanson View Post
    I cut it by hand, first with artist's paper (thick stuff) spray glued to the foam to trace the tools onto, then cut out with an x-acto knife, and finally routed out with a dremel router and a pointy, long, diamond-grit bit, using the paper as a rub template, which actually works surprisingly well. After that, I just laminated the black and red pieces together with a heat gun.
    I break out in a sweat just thinking about how many hours you must have put into cutting all that foam. Why the need for the Dremel? Won't the X-acto just cut all the way through the foam? You probably have a lot of hours into just arranging the tools for the best fit.

I'm pretty sure I'll be that organized, but it would be nice. Rather than a Snap-On type tool chest I'm thinking about building a hanging wall cabinet for my tools. No way can I afford even a used Snap-On.

Let this be known: I'm cheap. It was DEFINITELY a used Snap-on. While not inexpensive, it wasn't as ridiculous as you might think. There are lots of them out there, purchased by people who had no business buying them just because Snap-on extended them credit. (I can do a solid five-minute rant on the corrupt business practices of tool truck companies; I'll spare you the rest...) They can easily be bought for 50% or less off of retail, even when they are only a few months old. One hint; Snap-on doesn't give the owner both keys until the box is paid for. If you ever buy one, make sure you can get BOTH keys; it's the only effective way to know whether or not you are receiving stolen goods!

It takes about three to four solid hours of work to do a "busy" drawer, like the wrenches.

An x-acto is "supposed" to work, but I found that I got way too much tear-out with it and I wasn't able to get the clean edge I wanted. I think this is why the pros do it with laser; it's clean. Layout gets agonized over for a week or two before you start. I would just set all the tools on a tool box drawer liner on the floor and just keep looking at it on and off for at least a week; change it, change it again, and again, until I had a eureka moment and I was confident it was the most efficient layout. Then take a picture of it, attach the paper to the foam, lay it back out and trace.

K

Even used Snap-On tool boxes are too rich for my blood. It is fairly rare to see one for much under $1000. Any of them that are even half way affordable are usually pretty well destroyed.

I like the Masterforce tool boxes sold by Menards and have been looking at them. They go on sale for around 20% off every few months. Probably not as nice as a Snap-On, but I don't make my living with tools either.

The big Harbor Freight ones get good reviews too.

What happened to the post of the blue wall cabinets? I was going to ask the poster where they got the white clips to hold the like the Channel locks.

Make sure you get a receipt for ALL your payments to the tool truck. My cousin was turned down for a loan because the tool guy was pocketing their payment and turned it in to the company as in default! I believe the tool guy went to jail as my cousin had all the canceled checks for the payments and they weren't the only ones he was ripping off.

Parts-a-ramma type car events are a good place to get tool boxes.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery