Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: How I Make Spiral or Twisted Finials

I'm impressed. You should try more things.

That's a great tutorial, Rick. I can see so many applications for this technique that my mind is awhirl right now. Thanks so much

Thanks for all the comments. It sounds like Dick and Bill are giving it a try, and I wish them luck. In the beginning I had a success ratio of about 50%, but with lots of practice, things went better. Practice and persistence are key.
    Rob, you say I should try more things??? I'm always trying more things, like for the past several weeks I have been following Jim Adkin's excellent tutorial and attempting basket illusions. If any of you are seeking a challenge...a really big challenge, then I encourage you to give one of those things a shot!! Really gives you more appreciation for what Jim A. does, and he does such an excellent job at that!

Blog Entries
    Well, I was making good progress and just about ready to sand when I heard that awful sound we all know and hate, the snap. It wasn't due to my method of work but due to my tailstock applying too much pressure. So for you guys trying this, just use the tailstock to steady the end once you start digging out material. Other than that it was going very easy thanks to your excellent tutorial.

Thanks Richard, very informative. When you drill the holes how deep to you go? All the way through or halfway or other?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Palmer View Post
    Thanks Richard, very informative. When you drill the holes how deep to you go? All the way through or halfway or other?
    Doug,
    Drill to the center of the piece so all holes meet. Good luck and be patient.

Blog Entries
    Thank you!!!!

8. I keep telling myself to buy that book I have seen excerpts, from it, guess I should get one.
    I have made quite a few hollow spiral pieces on a Legacy Ornamental Mill.
    That’s some nice work ,you have done there, Richard

Richard,
    Your photo's and write-up was done very well. Thanks

What a fantastic tutorial!
    Such a thing of beauty you've created.

That makes it very simple to try and have a chance at it working out. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well my confidence may get the best of me but I just picked up a piece of 10/4 Gabon Ebony. I'm going to try again in a few days.

Blog Entries
    Almost done with mine. I chickened out and used Bubinga instead of my block of Ebony. I actually really like the results though. It has been fun so far. Not as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

Blog Entries
    Success!!! some tiny bits of sanding and it's finished. Unfortunately I can't post picks until September. I'm in a contest and one of the rules is that it has to be posted for the contest before anywhere else. Rick, I can't thank you enough for this article. I'm going to put this to use in as many ways as I can. Love this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Success!!! some tiny bits of sanding and it's finished. Unfortunately I can't post picks until September. I'm in a contest and one of the rules is that it has to be posted for the contest before anywhere else. Rick, I can't thank you enough for this article. I'm going to put this to use in as many ways as I can. Love this technique.
    Bill,
    I'm glad it worked out for you and I look forward to seeing the finished product. Good luck in the contest!