Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Article: How I Make Spiral or Twisted Finials

can you use a sears spiral machine to make them
    BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Anthony View Post
    can you use a sears spiral machine to make them
    BOB

Bob, Although I remember seeing those years ago, I'm not familiar with how they work. the taper of the diameter might be a problem, just not sure.

Spiarl Work

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    Richard, Great little tutorial, I will have to give it a try. Thanks Dick Wilson
    I am a big Stuart Mortimer fan myself and do spiral work on a Ligno lathe, sometimes using the Avisera compound slide, as per photo. (the lamp has a low wattage LED bulb in it and lights up well). This is my first time to use the site, so, apologies if I have not used it correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made an attachment like the router crafter from sears to fit on my sawmill. I cut up to 20 foot long twisted squares or octogones.

spiral finial

Hi Richard Thankyou for the instructions on the spiral finial it encouraged me to have a go.How do I add a picture? Kind regards Colin(Cambridge UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Parr View Post
    Hi Richard Thankyou for the instructions on the spiral finial it encouraged me to have a go.How do I add a picture? Kind regards Colin(Cambridge UK)

Colin,
    When making a comment or reply, look for a selection above in the shape of a square. That should say "insert image", and clicking on it will give options on where and which pictures you wish to add. Please show what you have made on the woodturning forum, so we all can enjoy.

Spiral first attempt

169EE017-B873-43C6-9B28-746F87258E15.jpgThanks for the help Richard on both counts.

Spiral finial

169EE017-B873-43C6-9B28-746F87258E15.jpgThanks for the help Richard on both counts.
    This is a Yew hollow for on which I would normally turn a standard finial.However I am fed up with loosing out to my pal Peter who keeps putting a spiral finial on his work .So I made up my mind to have a go and the result is above.Kind regards Colin

This is a Yew hollow for on which I would normally turn a standard finial.However I am fed up with loosing out to my pal Peter who keeps putting a spiral finial on his work .So I made up my mind to have a go and the result is above.Kind regards Colin

Wonderful work, Colin. You should post this on the woodturning forum for others to enjoy. You have done a great job!!!

Been a long time since I was on the forum. Had to get a reminder. I am a woodturner, and the secretary of our club. It's kept me too busy to do much turning. Just getting back into it again, and looking for spindle things to do. This technique is something I have been looking at for years but have never tried. IT IS TIME. Many thanks Richard. Hope you are still at it.

Kris,
    I just saw this and I thank you for looking and for the comment. I hope you do give this a try, but be patient and don't give up.
    I hate to admit it, but I've not turned anything for over two years. A friend asked for an urn with a spiral finial and both the container and finial have been roughed, but still not finished. I need to get on the ball and finish this. Thanks again for looking.