Thread: pet urn's

pet urn's

For grandson's Golden Retriever, just sent it to him this week. Don't have my photo tent up yet so excuse the pictures. 6"x10" Oak Burl.
    casey_urn_3.jpgcasey_urn_4.jpgcasey_urn_1.jpg
    Rex

thats really nice. I was just asked to make a pet urn for someone. do you put some kind of an sealable insert inside them or just straight in to the urn. was trying to figure out how to make the top stay on securely. just a friction fit? beautiful piece
    Last edited by cal thelen; 04-23-2011 at 9:29 AM.

Rex, that burl sure has the character!! Did you use your snap fit lid technique on this one?

What are the dimensions? I have a friend that is wanting an urn for a small dog, and I have no idea how much capacity to do.

That's a gnarly piece of wood... I like it!

That wood sure has a lot of character!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful piece of wood and beautiful tribute to a special companion.

Michael

Wood is beautiful and really a nice tribute.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Cal;
    No they usually come in plastic bag that will fit in the urn.

Quote Originally Posted by cal thelen View Post
    thats really nice. I was just asked to make a pet urn for someone. do you put some kind of an sealable insert inside them or just straight in to the urn. was trying to figure out how to make the top stay on securely. just a friction fit? beautiful piece
    Rex

John;
    No the wood is too punky at the top. It's kinda a loose fit. I usually make a rather small one for small dogs or cats. Say up to 10 lbs dog or cat will fit in about a cup and a half size. This one is to large for Casey and she was 70 lbs. But I left the wall thickness about 1/2"
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Rex, that burl sure has the character!! Did you use your snap fit lid technique on this one?

What are the dimensions? I have a friend that is wanting an urn for a small dog, and I have no idea how much capacity to do.
    Rex

Rex that is beautiful and will make a wonderful tribute. I too have wondered if there is a way to figure capacity.

One cubic ounce per pound the pet/person weighs.........Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

Lots of character in that pieced of wood. I am sure it will be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McKinley View Post
    One cubic ounce per pound the pet/person weighs.........Ron
    Ron, the problem for me is designing a form that will achieve a desired capacity. A cup is about 14.5 cu. in., and one can guess as to what a particular form might hold, but the capacity is unknown until it is completed. I would like to begin getting a feel for the relationship of forms to capacity.

Our black lab "Jack" was the model for the Budweiser beer stein and when he passed we thought that would make a nice resting place for his ashes. When they arrived my wife looked at the plastic bag and said he wouldn't fit. I looked at the bag and the stein and said that he would. Thats when disaster struck. Poor Jack was flying around the kitchen and my wife was in tears screaming at me to put back in the can he was shipped in and never touch it again. If I had to do it all over again, I'd make the urn first and send it with the remains to the crematory. As far as I am concerned, whatever fits is the desired capacity. But for those who want a more exact answer, our 80 pound lab and 60 pound border collie were returned in the same size tin measuring 4" X 4" X 5 1/2".

Nice urn, and nice tribute to your grandson's dog.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome