Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Won't hold soup

That's a very interesting and beautiful piece. I like everything about it. The character is unreal and I know it was fun to turn.

Thanks, folks! I was fortunate to get this wood, and I figured all I needed to do was focus on not screwing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Yikes! I suppose you did the wrap technique?!
    No wraps, Roger... I haven't found it necessary yet, but I did consider it a few times when I was working out near the widest portion of this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bolen View Post
    With the size of those voids you probably didn't need the laser. Kinda like having x-ray vision for hollowing. Beautiful piece of wood that you treated oh so well.
    I like the look of pieces with voids, and the openings really are nice when it comes to the hollowing. I still consider myself a newbie at this kind of turning, so being able to see the tip at times really helps me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    I don't suppose you had to blow the chips out of that one too often. Which opening did you find boring? Nice job on the wood that remained.

Dan
    The boring opening is the one I made... The others I'm pretty happy with. Very little use of the air compressor made this piece even more fun to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by philip labre View Post
    Just stunning!!! I think a collar is unnecessary with every thing else going on in the piece. Since you're unsure about the opening, I can hold onto it till you make up your mind.
    Not a bad idea... Maybe next time you turn one that needs to be housed elsewhere, we can work out an exchange.

David that is a beautiful piece. I like the form and opening as is. Really nice form and the crappy wood looks really nice.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There's another nice one David. You are getting some very "unstable" chunks of wood to the finish line. Congrats and thanks for posting!
    mj

just plug the opening and let folks wonder how you hollowed it out

Okay, I will buck the trend...

Okay, I will buck the trend. But firstly, it is a well-done piece. I like the gloss finish as a nice juxtaposition for the gnarly negative spaces. Congrats on not having it explode on you. Curious to know how you managed with the negative space when hollowing. I use shrink wrap when I think something will not withstand the rigors of hollowing.

As for the opening, if you feel it is boring, you are the artist and it is your visual that isn't completely fulfilled. My suggestion is to accent the edges a little more to give it a greater dangerous/gnarly effect. If you have some artistic pens, try a little highlighting the edges with brown hues and maybe some grey and gold tones. Darken the folds/crevices where bark and dirt would naturally gravitate. Less is more so start timid then go bold. I've learned that my artists pens behave differently on woods so practice on wood with same tone and density....or take a risk.

If you are a pyro person, then you can achieve the same affect but it is certainly harder to control so use a variety of pens/tips and play with the heat controller. Steel wool is great to dust of carbon from pyro lines to mute the effect. The caution with pyro is the bleed-over effect on to the outside of the bowl...probably not something you want.

If it doesn't hold water (or soup), it's art so you have free reign to use everything.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    David DeCristoforo

Really nice David. I don't see anything about the piece I don't love. Well done!

That is STUNNING!
    take a bow, I don't think you need to look for imaginary problems, the opening is FINE!
    Change One Thing

David I guess I'll just add to what everybody else has said, Beautiful!

Forget the collar....That wood holds it's own! Glad you didn't need an OMFS guy to fix you after that. The size is great and the finish isn't to glossy...IMHO
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

David, its very nice

with all the voids and eyes, burls and grain ,,the plain opening is the thing, its does not compete with the rest of the piece

Can't believe I missed this.

Beautifully executed. Holy smokes.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

David I don't know how I missed this one, but I sure am glad that I found it. The shape of the form is great and I like the opening a lot. I can only imagine the bounce that you got from the burl. I like about anything with voids in them and this is superb. Thanks for showing.

I don't think it could be improved upon -