Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you make a decent living with a laser engraver?

Great question. I've been considering a laser purchase too. I'm at the age that I could retire with a meager pension and looking to enhance that somewhat; been a hobbyist woodworker for many years and thinking a laser might be a good complement to that. My thinking has not changed on that, except that I should put more thought into evaluating the cost of a laser versus the potential income.

Research into answering the question of a laser purchase is what landed me at the Creek first place. I've been on this forum, and the other SMC forums as well, nearly every day since I found this sight. Really appreciate the insight I've received here.

Here's an example of multitool production:
    This awards base was made with a CnC router , the brass "starburst" was CnC cut , the mask was digitialy printed and domed and the green acrylic was laser cut and laser enghraved.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

3. Impressive work Rodne,

the award business is something I cannot enter with just a laser engraver, and my business plan doesn't include buying a second machine at this moment..

maybe one day...
    Epilog Zing 30W
    Adobe Illustrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Here's an example of multitool production:
    This awards base was made with a CnC router , the brass "starburst" was CnC cut , the mask was digitialy printed and domed and the green acrylic was laser cut and laser enghraved.
    Superior work as always, Rod, but you are forgetting to mention your best most valuable tool, which is your design skill. Those tools would be half as impressive in someone else's hands.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Superior work as always, Rod, but you are forgetting to mention your best most valuable tool, which is your design skill. Those tools would be half as impressive in someone else's hands.

cheers, dee
    You are right Dee without a vision an award is just an award. I have to say after seeing
    Rodne's creations rthrough the years even half as impressive is still pretty impressive.

This is why Rodne is so succesfully! Nice work!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    You'll also hear many router owners talk about jobs that are more than $10,000. So that's one job, more than $10,000, and it's not uncommon.
    A typical application that I often deal with is CNC routing plugs for vacuum forming and fiberglass.
    1) Layers of 1" MDF are glued together. Usually around 2" thick because long router bits have issues.
    2) The layers are machined on a CNC router with registration dowel holes on the flats.
    3) The layers are bonded together to form one large MDF plug.
    4) The plug is sanded, filled and sealed.
    5) If for vacuum forming, the plug is then sent to a foundry to be cast into an aluminum tool maintaining an even wall thickness.

This is much easier, cheaper, and faster than machining out of billet or even 5-axis routing. And $10k is a realistic number for this type of job.

I've even laser cut and engraved components of the plugs and inserted prior to casting. Whatever process is quickest wins.

Also, the only time I've made real money with the laser is industrial cutting jobs. 1000s of the same part. Not fun but helps pay the bills.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I have a somewhat different perspective to add here. I am a multi-tool shop. My markets are corporate awards, gifts and industrial engraving. Three of the four processes (rotary, laser & sandcarving) by themselves would produce a livable wage for me, but only because I also sell the products to be marked or engraved out of a fully-stocked showroom.

The markup on the in-house product sales is what adds substantial value to these machines. If I were working out of my garage or basement, I feel I could do it successfully, but not to a level where one process such as laser engraving could carry the weight of earning a living. It would still take the diversity of tools to earn an acceptable living, especially since my in-house product sales would be considerably less.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

I run a niche business with the laser being my only main tool and it has worked for me. Niche being the key word. Dee said it earlier. You have to know what market you are entering, the clients you want to attract. Mid-High end is what is all about.
    Having design knowledge or skill it also a massive plus too. Without it, we wouldnt be able to come up with the things we do and therefore would not being doing as well as we are.

It can be done, but you have to have the right product.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

So Jit, did you make the Royal Wedding invitations?

The laser alone won't earn anyone a living. Its only half a tool without software, and a tool is an inanimate object without a user. So really the operator and his/her design and business skills are the key factors to consider.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

David,

I wish I did. That would have taken our business to the next level. But the royals thought we were too expensive lol!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

OK, now that was funny.
    355 - 10400 : )

I know a guy who bought a couple of large format Chinese lasers and had an idea take off, he seems to be doing pretty good. However, and this is just my opinion, but a point will come when his sales will cool off and he'll be looking for jobs...

Back in the 70's my parents, myself and my BIL all made a decent living engraving computer keycaps. Dad made masters on his Gorton pantomill, me and my BIL engraved the buttons on New Hermes IRX-IV pantographs, mom painted 'em and did the bookwork. Me & Don would crank out 1000 buttons a day between us, at 75 cents a pop-- not bad money for 1975. That all ended in the 80's When Bill and IBM eliminated the need for proprietary computers. Now I have a whole herd of machines to make a living and need every stinking one of 'em! And I have a new-to-me Gravograph IS7000 coming next week, and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a big Rabbit laser... This need to make a living is a sickness!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

13. Yes you can

Can you make money with a Laser engraver? Yes, I bought a Full Spectrum 40 watt hobby 3 years ago. That's paid for it's self in 2 months. From there I've built the Frankenstein laser engraver, 4 foot by 3 foot work speace, 100 watt Co2 from lightobject.com, and now my production is 5x faster from the Hobby we got years back.
    Do I have a Ferrari in the drive way, and a 50000000 sq foot home off the money I'm making from the Laser No. Far from. I run only the laser vs other who use it to add to a product. I work only with wood, and design a lot in Corel Draw. Hand paint, to add touches and different effects. Now, we just started moving into different fields where we're using other woodworking tools to make frames ect. I don't want to get too much into what we do, because we have a corner on the market and the only ones doing it from what I've seen out there. We make products all year long, but the Winter season we do craft shows and sell our products. Where one of our fields of products sells the best, rest of the year we sell other products to keep busy, Both my wife and I work full time, and count the money as extra play.

Key tip. Become a master in the Program you draw in. And think of something new and different.
    Everyone is making trophies or trying to. Everyone is or can do the same thing you find on google search. Think outside the box and see what you can create. We found the trick to be.. Just start making stuff, picture it and find a site to sell it on. And just keep adding stuff and hope it sells. Worst case. Christmas is coming, if it doesn't sell, heres a gift.. Look at other peoples work and see what you can do to make it better or change it.

But have an Idea before you just buy a laser and sit there looking at a blank screen going what do I make.
    Other ways, get it and go door to door of local business and be like is there anything I can laser for you today?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Smith View Post
    So, how much do you make a year??

Mike
    A question asked by a true corporate employee. Most of us are self employed. I haven't received a check in over 18 years. Everything I do or fail to do costs money. So your question of "how much do you make a year??" is based on how hard do you have to work to get and retain a loyal customer and how much product can you produce as a single employee who is Receptionist, Waiter, Cook, Dishwasher, Stock Boy and Bookkeeper. Hire an employee and you must more than triple your Gross Income, because the State/Fed loves to charge you all kinds of extra fees. Your Phone bill at hone is say $30 a month for service. Tell them you're a business and now they charge you $75 for the same service. Internet - $29.95 a month at home installed free. Business $69.96 a month and $100 install charge. Quarterly taxes , enough said. My biggest charge is shipping. Do your homework and prepare a realistic business plan. Not for today but rather for 2 years from today. And most importantly set a date to evaluate your plan and if it is still working as a sole source of income.

Who needs your service, what is your service? and "What would you like, I have a laser" is not the answer. plastics, acrylics, mdf, plywood
    are all mediums to work your magic. What does you city need? name tags, data plates, signage, hat racks, find the answer and you will make a good living...
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Odell View Post
    I Bought my laser in November so far I have made enough to pay off my laser and am looking for another one. I went the cheap way out and bought a chinese laser would I do it again, yes I would now I am looking for a small machine to take with me. I am one of the few that has done this. It is not easy I work a full time job then I come home and work into the early morning hours. When my wife and family see me they say do we know you. But in the long run it will be worth it. I do a lot of industrial tags and I also do a lot of craft shows.
    About a decade ago when not as many people had lasers I okay money just on doing laser work. Now it's much harder. And I don't make near as much as I used to. So I agree if you can get other equipment it will help.

That is what I'm working on.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt