Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Bosch Barrel Handle Jig Saw?

Experience with Bosch Barrel Handle Jig Saw?

I'm looking to purchase a jig saw, and am considering the Bosch 1591EVSK Barrel Handle Jig Saw Kit. Has anyone had any experience with this saw, and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Perry

Both the top handle and barrel handle are great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I don't have the barrel handle Bosch, but I do have the 18v cordless bosch. I have been very happy with the cuts that I have received from this saw. I would imagine that the corded model would be even better!

I have a barrel grip Bosch. It's an earlier model than what you mention as I got it around 92 or 93. It has held up very well, has a lot of miles on it and it runs just as good today as it did in 93.

Bob

not an expert

I understand the current model has an improved blade holder / blade lock feature. Supposedly, on some of the older models (like mine), the blades could get out of whack (to use a term of art). Mine is ok, although I can't say that my use is heavy.

I took a woodworking course through the local community college last fall, and the instructor also keeps a job as a Bosch rep for most of the West Coast WW shows. According to him, Bosch leads the market when it comes to Jig Saws - "nobody makes a better jig saw than Bosch." Take that for what it's worth, but at the same time, he's been the first one to tell us to avoid other Bosch lines tools in lieu of better lines by other manufacturers.

I did get a chance to use the barrel grip Jig Saw in the shop once, and didn't relly notice a gigantic difference between the Bosch and the Craftsman I had at home. The difference between barrel grip or top handle comes down to personal preference.

A small city West of New Orleans call Westwego, Louisiana
    I have the top handle model it fits better and feels better in my hand, never had a barrel handle saw before but tried one and it seemed a lil too bulky.
    Pete-- Deep in Cajun Country
    One Nation-- "Under GOD"

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...vingplane1.gif

Blog Entries
    I have the 1587AVS, similar I think. It is a great saw. I broke the one side of the jig cradle the first time I used it, they were pretty delicate on my model. Be careful trying to plunge with it, they claim it can be done & it can. It will bust the blade and bounce off to New Jersey if you arn't careful though. Probably easier to just drill a hole. I was cutting out holes for light fixtures and receptacles with mine just the other day, works like a champ!

I agree...they are both good, the top handle is easier to control
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rosenbohm
    I have the top handle model it fits better and feels better in my hand, never had a barrel handle saw before but tried one and it seemed a lil too bulky.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I think the barrel grip is the way to go. I have used it for years and have always felt comfortable with it. I do have large hands and that maybe a consideration. I always felt the top grip was the homeowner model.

I have the previous model. I think the Bosch is second only to the Festool. I also like barrel grip better as I feel there is more control around curves. But, it's user preference. The saw is extremely smooth and well balanced.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I've used my top handle for about five years now.
    Tried a barrel grip several years ago in a furniture shop. Didn't like it. Guess I am used to mine. Use it for cabinet installs.

I much prefer the barrel grip because of the lower center of gravity and flexibility in holding it when working in odd spots from odd angles on boats.

Great saws....they do metal almost as fast as they do wood, too....that's 1/8" hardened marine brass plate:

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Blog Entries

Barrel grip

I have the barrel grip Bosch. I love it. Best jig saw I ever used. It is smooth and cuts extremely well. I use the progressor blades (U234X I think) The teeth look really agressive, but the cut can rival a table saw for smoothness in hardwood when used with zero oscillation. With maximum oscillation, you can cut off a 2 X 4 nearly as fast as a skill saw will.

My BIL bought a top handle Bosch which I used while at his house and it is just as smooth, but I like the barrel grip better.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have both the barrel grip Bosch - earlier version and the barrel grip Festool - latest version and have played with the newest version of the Bosch. I much prefer the barrel grip to the top handle style but this is pure personal preference - I just like having my hand close to the item being cut as it seems I have better control. The Bosch is a great saw and can handle any job but the Festool is my preferred saw to use. The differences are relatively minor especially when comparing the latest Festool to the newest Bosch version. The Festool just feels more refined - smoother running, nicer ergonomics, slightly cleaner cut. If you own any Festool products you will understand what I mean.
    Pete in Louisiana