Thread: Rotary Attachment

Rotary Attachment

Hello....I have had my laser since last summer. This forum has helped me a lot!
    I have a problem and hope that someone here can help or advise me. I need to engrave 2 wedding flutes. I do not have a rotary attachment. I asked my sales guy and he quoted me $340 plus freight. I said okay, I'll buy it. An order was placed for the flutes based on that info. Well it happens that the rotary attachment for a VLS4.6 is
    $ 1,525, I was told the next day. I was also told that Universal Laser will not discount the attachment.
    I was doing the job for family because the price to engrave at the store was outrageous.
    The questions I have are, 1) can the attachment be bought cheaper and 2) if not, is there someone close to me that can engrave the flutes?
    Universal Laser VLS4.60 50 watts
    Corel Draw X5

Rotary attachments are not cheap but I didn't think they were that much, mine had a list price of about $750 I think, but it was included with the laser. I would suggest you find someone to sandcarve them for you, better results and pretty easy to do. I am in Oregon, so it probably would be best to find someone closer.

Gary

I'm right over the line in Bridgeport CT, if you want to come by my shop and use mine you are welcome to do so. Not sure where you are but you have the invite if you would like.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Where are you in NY? The City or Upstate?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Hi Cathy
    PM sent
    2017 Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Corel X8
    Photograv 3.0

New Hermes Pantograph
    2-Corner cutters/notchers
    1- Combo Shear.
    Vision VE810HD Rotary
    Numerous support tools.

Thank you for your responses. I am in No. Westchester County.
    Neil thank you, Bridgeport is a bit of a ride, but I may take you up on your offer.
    Universal Laser VLS4.60 50 watts
    Corel Draw X5

Cathy, did you ask your local sales rep if he had one you could demo for a day or two. I know some of them have access to one.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Cathy,

Since you only have the two flutes to do, why not acid etch them? Cut the stencil with the laser. Pick up a glass etching kit from a craft store. Cheap, and fairly easy to do.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Hi Cathy,

I called universal and sure enough $1525 was the price. A distributer might be able to get you a better price she said. In my opinion, it's worth the money to invest in one of these. I'm not sure what type of jobs you do or intend to do with your laser, but I use my rotary attachment at the very least once a week. Sometimes as much as once a day with 3-4 different jobs that day. We etch wine bottles, glasses (flutes, wine, drinking, shot, mugs, pilsners), vases, cookie jars, flashlights, mini bats, and the occasional odd object. The attachment will pay for itself if you are charging customers for the work.

Good luck and happy etching!
    Jessica Houghton
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Cathy,

Since you only have the two flutes to do, why not acid etch them? Cut the stencil with the laser. Pick up a glass etching kit from a craft store. Cheap, and fairly easy to do.

Cathy,

This may be the way to go in the meantime. They have an evironmental safe kit that most hobby stores sell for about $20.
    The other option is the hobby stores do sell a sand etching kit for about $60 that uses a canned air.

Have the laser cut a stencil and take it from there!

See YouTube videos on these processes.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!