Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220 volt 20 amp circuit question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cross View Post
    You guys realize this thread is 6 years old. Although the info is good, previous responders my not see recent activity.

Mike
    Ya I seen that but was responding to Kevin's question this morning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    The 20A breakers are nice because they take less room in your breaker box. If you want 30A you will need a double. It's a bummer because I often wish I had just installed 30A wire+breakers on all my 220V circuits instead of 20A. Each of my 3HP Grizzly machines and my 3HP Oneida cyclone has tripped a breaker on startup at least once over the years. With 30A though my breaker box would have run out of room fast.
    -Brian
    Note that the OP wants a 240 volt 20 amp circuit so he will have to use a 20 amp double breaker to achieve that.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yes, well - the OP asked the question 6 years ago <g>.

In the US the voltage is either 208 or 240 volts, 220 is a pre-war voltage, where 220 still exists it is 50 Hertz & the color code is brown for the hot/live, blue for the neutral, and yellow with a green stripe for the grounding/ earth conductor, it is derived from 220/380V 3 phase wye or "star" as it is referred over there, line to neutral is 220V, line to line is 380V, the European Union "harmonized" the voltages to 400/230V because some countries like the UK, & France, were 415/240V & others were 380/220V so they went in the middle, nothing changed though other then 1 standard across the EU.

If you look at electrically heated appliances like ranges, dryers, water heaters they have 240 volt ratings, if the voltage were still 220, there would be reduced performance when they are operated at a reduced voltage, the elements will operate at a reduced wattage, a note though: ranges & dryers are 120/240V & do require a neutral as they have components that require 120V.