Thread: Suggestions for Quick Temporary Attachment of Wilton Mechanics Vise

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suggestions for Quick Temporary Attachment of Wilton Mechanics Vise

I have very limited space in my shop, so I strive to keep thing modular and moveable so stuff that is not in use can be tucked away and not consume real estate.

I have a Wilton Mechanics Vise -- very similar to this model.

It is an important tool, especially when I am fabricating metal parts.

I had it bolted onto my temporary workbench which consisted of 3/4" plywood with an Ikea laminated Maple countertop sitting on top. I've scaled down my workbench to be just the size of the countertop (currently sitting atop a folding bench until I build the base), and I'd like to have my workbench be able to accommodate my mechanic's vise, temporarily, or be free and clear for large projects.

I already have the four holes drilled that I used previously when I had the vise occupy a somewhat permanent position.

My question is: what do you recommend as a fastener that will allow securing the vise, yet making it easily installable/removable? Unscrewing bolt screws takes too long. I'm wondering what fasteners there are for quick release that could use the existing holes. A solution that has the vise already affixed to a surface and then the surface is affixed to the bench is possible, e.g. using clamps on a base sitting on the bench.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
    Last edited by John Poole; 04-18-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: added URL to image at Wilton site.
    John L. Poole