Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St.Basil's Cryptex, Sapele/Mahogany and Maple

St.Basil's Cryptex, Sapele/Mahogany and Maple

Here's a cryptex, my first, inspired by the book "The DaVinci Code" and an article titled "Craft a Cryptex" in the April 2010 issue of American Wooodturner by John Giem. It was made for a Russian immigrant friend and co-worker thus I made it in the image of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow shown in the April, 2011 issue of Woodturning Design. It is 7 1/2" tall and 2 1/2" wide and composed of nine turned parts and five cut off nails used as locking pins. The book says that Leonardo DaVinci invented the cryptex but that seems to be in doubt. Supposedly, a secret messsage would be rolled around a thin glass vial and placed in the center tube. If the cryptex was broken or forced open the vial would shatter and the liquid in it would destroy the writing. The code to open the cryptex is always stated as a riddle and this one is as follows:

She came so far from Krosnodar
    so far in many ways
    but if you turn her back a bit
    you'll solve this wooden maze

The code is my friend's name backwards and she is in a photo below. (Those with sharp eyes will notice two pictures on my office wall behind her of the only famous person I've ever known from each end of his career. I took the one on the top as a young kid.) Being a very un-handy guy with few tools, this project was an enormous challenge that I'm glad I tried. Your critique appreciated.

Cryptex1.jpgCryptex2.jpgCryptex & Raya.jpg

I don't know enough about them to critique it, other than it looks pretty cool and your friend looks pretty happy!

Bill
    Nice piece, the shape on the top is unbelievable. The mechanism look like it was fun. By the way are you crazy yet.

Very nice Cryptex! I really like the burned lettering. My son and I made one a few years ago but it was not nearly as pretty as yours.

That looks really cool! The lettering looks like it was done on ivory - has that slight tint to it and gives the piece a somewhat aged look.

Cool photos!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is very cool, I want to try this myself one day down the road. And I am jealous, you met the man in black.....!!!

Edit - Does anyone know of any online "How-To's" on making one of these?
    Last edited by Tim Thiebaut; 04-16-2011 at 8:23 AM.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Looks like a fun project and very well executed. I saw that same article and thought I should file it away for some time in the future when I have more patience...

Bill, the form on this is great!!! I was not familiar with the term cryptex, so I got an education, as well. Well done! And, your recipient looks very pleased.

Johnny Cash was one of my favorites from his very beginnings! You are a lucky man.

very cool, and making a piece that gives two people joy, is worth the effort.

Very nice. It makes me even more interested in seeing a demo one of our local clubs is having next week on making a cryptex.
    I think they are very clever and open up lots of possible creative differences.
    Beautiful job!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Bill, great job, your riddle is a nice addition. Your friend is very lucky.

Coincidently, I’m just putting the finishing touches on a DVD (Volume Six – Special Boxes), which features the construction of a “segmented” cryptex. In my design, instead of arranging letters into a code word, an arrangement of wood species to form a shape is required in order to open and reveal the contents. There are lots of possibilities with this style of work.

Nicely done Bill. These are such intriguing pieces, really a great woodturning project and a treasure for the new owner. Way to step out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    That is very cool, I want to try this myself one day down the road. And I am jealous, you met the man in black.....!!!

Edit - Does anyone know of any online "How-To's" on making one of these?
    The April 2010 Amereican Woodturner has the plans.

I love the form on this one. I made one kinda like that a few years ago. I am now going to go burn mine. Great job and it sure looks like it was a fun gift.

Steve

Bill, You did good and I have thought of trying one some day, but I guess I say that about everything that I have not tried yet! One thing you can be sure of besides that it turned out great is that it did not end up in a "Burnin Ring of Fire"! Johnny cash was one of mhy favorite singers to try and emulate while a bit younger and singing karaoke, I had fun but never got rich singing.

Nice job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown