Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety safety safety........can't be stressed enough.

Safety safety safety........can't be stressed enough.

Safety safety safety........can't be stressed enough especially for those new to some of these tools. Thought I would post this as a reminder to that. Respect the tools your using.

Yale student asphyxiated in lathe accident at chemistry lab, medical examiner rules

NEW HAVEN — A Yale University student from Massachusetts died in an accident Tuesday night at the Sterling Chemistry Laboratory, Yale officials said Wednesday.

Michele Dufault’s hair got caught in a lathe, a piece of machinery that spins very quickly, and it pulled her in, sources said. The state medical examiner’s office reported that Dufault died from accidental asphyxia by neck compression.

Yale President Richard C. Levin, in a statement issued Wednesday evening, called the incident “a true tragedy,” and said he is initiating a “thorough review of the safety policies and practices of laboratories, machine shops, and other facilities with power equipment that is accessed and operated by undergraduates.”

Levin said Dufault’s body was found by other students who had been working in the building. He did not say what time the discovery was made. The president said the students called police, who responded immediately. Fire officials reported being called to the scene at 2:33 a.m.

At Saybrook residential college Wednesday night, more than 150 people gathered to remember the young woman, recalling a warm and welcoming smile and brilliant, curious intellect. Students and top administrators held candles in memory of Dufault, who was just months from graduating.

The Yale marching band, in which Dufault had played saxophone, played her favorite selection, Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”

“She was very enthusastic about everything she did, and she was just extremely friendly,” said Jean-Luc Mosely. “I can’t think of a day when I havent seen her smile.”

Atid Kimelman, a sophomore, came out with other band members seeking comfort.

“I guess I’ll remember her with a saxophone in her hand, smiling at a game,” he said.

Levin put Steven Girvin, deputy provost for science and technology, in charge of the review. Until that is completed, Levin said Yale College will limit undergraduate access to facilities with power equipment to hours that will be specified by the end of the week, and said monitors will be present.

“The safety of our students is a paramount concern,” Levin said in the statement.

Dufault’s parents came to the campus Wednesday and will return before the end of the semester for a memorial service to honor their daughter.

A New Haven fire official said the department responded to an emergency call at the lab at 2:33 a.m. When examined by fire personnel, Dufault reportedly had no pulse, according to officials who turned the scene back over to Yale police.

Dufault was found sitting at a metal lathe with her hair wrapped around part of the machine. A lathe is a machine used for shaping wood, metal or other material by way of a rotating drive that turns the material being worked on against cutting tools.

Dufault reportedly was using the machine as she worked on her senior project.

An employee at the Bridgeport office of the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration early Wednesday said they only have jurisdiction over accidents that involve paid workers.

But by early afternoon, Ted Fitzgerald, spokesman for the OSHA office in Boston, said that, after more fact-gathering, OSHA decided to open an investigation. He described it as a “fine line,” since Dufault was a student and not a worker, but because the equipment in question could expose employees to a potential hazard, OSHA can come in. Fitzgerald said it would review whether safety standards were followed; if there was a violation, OSHA could potentially cite the university and impose a fine.

City officials said they are not responsible for reviewing safety issues at Yale. That function is the purview of the university’s Environmental Health & Safety Department, which has some 50 workers, with a safety manager assigned to each building.

The department is charged with training of staff and students, “workplace evaluation, emergency response, hazardous materials management from acquisition to disposal, and by managing regulatory information,” according to its website.

Students and staff who had completed a shop course are the only ones allowed to use the machine shop in the basement of the Sterling Chemistry Laboratory, according to the chemistry department’s website.

Officials did not return calls seeking information on what that training involves and whether students are allowed to work unsupervised.

Dufault, as part of the highly selective Yale Drop Team, which works with NASA on experiments conducted at the Johnson Space Center’s Ellington Field in Houston, Texas, participated twice in the program. It gives teams of undergraduates from across the country the chance to propose, design, build, fly and evaluate reduced-gravity experiments. Previous articles on the Drop Team describe the students designing material for their experiments in the machine shop.

Yale Secretary Linda Koch Lorimer sent an email to the Yale community that said: “I am deeply saddened to inform you that Michele Dufault, a Yale senior in Saybrook College, died last night in what appears to have been a terrible accident involving a piece of equipment in the student machine shop in Sterling Chemistry Laboratory.”

News of the accident quickly spread.

“As you can imagine, this news is very sad for folks here, and, in fact, some are just learning of it,” said Stephanie Murphy, head of public information at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution on Cape Cod, Mass.

Dufault was part of a highly selective summer program at Woods Hole last summer for science, math and engineering majors.

“She worked closely with WHOI scientists who design and operate robotic vehicles to make remote chemical and other measurements in the ocean. The WHOI community is deeply saddened by the loss of such an intelligent young woman with such high potential,” said Jim Yoder, dean of academic programs at the institution.

Dufault was a 2007 graduate of the Noble and Greenough School in Massachusetts, which she attended for six years, beginning in the seventh grade.

“Michele was an extraordinary young woman, one of the most precocious students who her teachers ever encountered,” said Head of School Robert P. Henderson Jr.

“She was simply brilliant. Her mind, her sense of curiosity, her perceptiveness, her sensitivity, and her enjoyment of what she did were extraordinary. She was a true intellectual. She was also distinctly humble, seemingly unaffected by her prodigious talent and academic attainments,” he said. “Those who knew her were drawn to her personal strength, modesty, good humor and perseverance. Her successes here touched almost every aspect of the school’s program.”

According to a 2009 story in the Yale Daily News, Dufault volunteered at an event at Sloane Physics Laboratory during which female students from the area were invited to participate in science experiments.

“It’s nice for the girls to be able to ask questions and say what they want without being judged by guys,” Dufault, who was volunteering at the event, was quoted in the Yale Daily News as having said. “Almost all of the volunteers and scientists involved with this program are women — showing the girls that women can succeed in the sciences. I wish I had that opportunity at their age.”
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

why do the people with the higher I Q always seems to be the ones that get hurt the most

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    why do the people with the higher I Q always seems to be the ones that get hurt the most
    Don't know why but it sure seems so doesn't it. Its a sad but stark reminder that accidents don't show favoritism.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Maybe it is because they are doing more..kind of like making mistakes..if you don't make mistakes it means that you are not doing anything

My condolances to the family of that young lady.

I doubt that this is the case at all. In this case the person fatally injured may well have had a high IQ but I would bet that she was not terribly familiar with operating a lathe. This being said you don't need a high IQ to realise that long hair and spinning machinery are a potentially deadly combo.

I would suggest IQ has little to do with it.

Lack of experience, lack of proper training and/or the self discipline to use the knowledge the person has is more often the cause.

My sympathies to the students family and friends.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I do not intend to cast doubts about the young woman death
    but if anyone do not have training then their I Q dealing with a certain
    machine is low but maybe not the overall I Q

Blog Entries
    IQ and street smarts aren't the same thing. Someone with a high IQ will be able to figure out how an unknown piece of machinery works, but they may be unaware of possible dangers. A street smart person may be wise enough to realize they could be hurt with such power, but have no idea how it works.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

High IQ and thorough training and knowledge involving safe operation of a given power tool aren't the same thing.

In today's world in this country where the main concern has become doing more with less for less expense, the thoroughness of training has suffered dramatically. A great example in the industry from which I just retired. In training someone about the safety aspects of working with super-cooled, supercon magnets that use liquid helium and pressurized gases for cooling the supercon magnets and the dangers of working around those incredibly strong magnet fields.....a lot of the training is now done via CDs or downloaded training programs rather than paying the expense of flying a group of individuals into a central location to see it, hear it and experience in the real world. In the flesh observations are a lot more impressive than sitting at a desk in your home working with cd-based training program.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    High IQ and thorough training and knowledge involving safe operation of a given power tool aren't the same thing.

In today's world in this country where the main concern has become doing more with less for less expense, the thoroughness of training has suffered dramatically. A great example in the industry from which I just retired. In training someone about the safety aspects of working with super-cooled, supercon magnets that use liquid helium and pressurized gases for cooling the supercon magnets and the dangers of working around those incredibly strong magnet fields.....a lot of the training is now done via CDs or downloaded training programs rather than paying the expense of flying a group of individuals into a central location to see it, hear it and experience in the real world. In the flesh observations are a lot more impressive than sitting at a desk in your home working with cd-based training program.

It appear that your I Q are too-high to understand what I am trying to say so what do I do , quit or do like the wind and attack from all angles at the same time ? I not the type to turn tail and run so quitting is out of the Question

Blog Entries
    It appear that your I Q are too-high to understand what I am trying to say so what do I do , quit or do like the wind and attack from all angles at the same time ? I not the type to turn tail and run so quitting is out of the Question
    Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, Ray, but this post comes off as quite rude...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Another lathe safety thing that might not be obvious to everyone is the danger of stock sticking out the back of a lathe. I had a 1" brass bar sticking out of the back of my manual lathe a couple feet once and everything was fine when I was turning it until it suddenly bent at 90 degrees, and the whole lathe hopped across the room like an out of balance washing machine. If anyone happened to be near it, it could have been very bad.

When the Mazak people installed my CNC lathe, they were quite insistent that I NEVER stick stock out the back of the CNC. They relayed a story where someone was holding a bar centered while it was being cut, but they failed to take into account that the lathe automatically compensated for cutting speed, so while a bar was being faced, the RPMs quickly climbed to 7000 rpms as the cutter neared the center of the bar. Needless to say, the person holding the bar was cut in half by the bar which started flailing about.
    Last edited by Bruce Boone; 04-18-2011 at 9:03 AM.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Unfortunately, another aspect I see in safety is that with "safety regulations" too many people are convinced that they are protected from everything and no longer have to think about what they are doing. I don't want to "armchair quarterback" what this poor girl was thinking while working, but I've encountered entirely too many people that would approach this no differently than sitting down to work at a computer or other household appliance. Not to say that you cannot injure yourself with household appliances as well...

My grandfather (a mechanic and machinist) always commented that as OSHA continued to pile more safety regulations onto things, the operators spent less and less time considering their part in the equation about whether THEY were WORKING safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone View Post
    Another lathe safety thing that might not be obvious to everyone is the danger of stock sticking out the back of a lathe. I had a 1" brass bar sticking out of the back of my manual lathe a couple feet once and everything was fine when I was turning it until it suddenly bent at 90 degrees, and the whole lathe hopped across the room like an out of balance washing machine. If anyone happened to be near it, it could have been very bad.

When the Mazak people installed my CNC lathe, they were quite insistent that I NEVER stick stock out the back of the CNC. They relayed a story where someone was holding a bar centered while it was being cut, but they failed to take into account that the lathe automatically compensated for cutting speed, so while a bar was being faced, the RPMs quickly climbed to 7000 rpms as the cutter neared the center of the bar. Needless to say, the person holding the bar was cut in half by the bar which started flailing about.
    1 inch brass , I load a much smaller bar in a screw machine [metal lathe ] it might been as big as a 1/4 inch , I cut it too long before loaded the machine , when I turn the machine on , it bend at 45 degree and torn the paper work to pieces , lucky my supervisor were not hurt, he could been kill

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, Ray, but this post comes off as quite rude...

you are right this time a COMMENT CAN BE RUDE BUT that is not how I meant the post