Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when you neglect maintenance...

What happens when you neglect maintenance...

It might not be a disaster (thank goodness!) but it did make me go YIKES when my laser started doing this...

So I really MEANT to clean it last time I used it, but got busy... next thing you know, I get the wobblies. So now my laser is clean and shiny. And working like it's supposed to.

Just a reminder from me to me to you.

dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

That reminds me... I need to clean the plenum on mine. It's been over a year now.
    ULS V460 Photograv Corel4 Compucarve

Ouch.

Can you polish and re-use those tiles or will that be a no-no in height compared to the other tiles when playing the game?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I cleaned mine last week, it's easy to let the important things slip by, naughty Dee!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Ouch.

Can you polish and re-use those tiles or will that be a no-no in height compared to the other tiles when playing the game?
    Yes, I can sand them down, but then the size would be thinner than the rest... bummer.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    I cleaned mine last week, it's easy to let the important things slip by, naughty Dee!
    I cleaned mine last week too, Frank... but this week I did a lot of engraving, so it looks like every other day from now on!

Red Coin Mah Jong

A clean machine is a happy machine.

Down at the small scales where I work, I know when the machine needs a cleaning and lubricating when I see a very slight tremor, blur or slant in the engraving. Just like your problem here, Dee, but smaller!

Other cleaning issues are the chads that collect under the vector grid, they are a fire hazard! Ask me how I know And the grille on the exhaust blower. Mine clogged up so gradually that I started to accept visible smoke as normal operation. Nuh uh!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

With mine it's a dirty lens, If I forget to clean it, and I'm pretty good about it, it degrades the work rapidly. Now if there appears to be a problem that's the first place I look. I'm into my 14th year and so far haven't had to replace a lens.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

And remember to check for leaks/holes in your exhaust duct work. I believe it was one of the contributing factors to the fire problem I had.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Dee, what did you clean that solved the problem. Although I keep a regular maint schedule, I will let several jobs run during a single day or two, but I've never seen the problem you had.

Mike, I hear ya about the importance lens cleaning. I know evryone uses different cleaning methods, but for 12 years I've only used a little (pardon me) good ole spit and a cotton cloth, I've replaced only one lens per machine, they probably didn't need it but I was replacing belts and just thought it was a good tune up.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Quote Originally Posted by greg lindsey View Post
    Dee, what did you clean that solved the problem. Although I keep a regular maint schedule, I will let several jobs run during a single day or two, but I've never seen the problem you had.

Mike, I hear ya about the importance lens cleaning. I know evryone uses different cleaning methods, but for 12 years I've only used a little (pardon me) good ole spit and a cotton cloth, I've replaced only one lens per machine, they probably didn't need it but I was replacing belts and just thought it was a good tune up.
    Greg,

To tell you the truth, I don't know what caused it. I cleaned the rails, the mirror, the main lens, the side mirror, the optical strip, encoder, vents, downdraft ports and the inside of the box plus the honeycomb and task plate. I also cleaned and lubricated the x axis rail.

So it could have been any of those things, or a combination of all - it was all pretty dusty from the recent work I had been doing. One thing I can say is that this is the first time I cleaned the side mirror, so that might be a big part of it. It will be included from now on, that's for sure! Being hidden, it's easy to overlook.

My next big cleaning will be to take the whole exhaust system apart, inside the house and outside too. IF it ever stops raining!

HTH, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Hi Dee,

Since you're that far with the left side off, mine has a belt tension adjustment spring. It couldn't hurt to make sure the belt is under proper tension. I first found mine needed adjustment when the machined "groaned" while the moving to the home position. I loosened the screw nearest the spring and the belt "auto tensioned." I tightened the screws and no more groan. Just a thought.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks for the suggestion, Greg. I have run the laser all day long today since that incident and there is no deviation from perfect, nor any weird noises... so I am of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. I would be more worried about me messing something up unnecessarily

cheers, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee, after looking at the photo agian, my best guess would be the encoder strip was dirty or slightly wavy at the top since it looks like the only deviation was at the top row. I have found that if the encoder is even slightly wavy it will throw off the engraving. After several hours and lots of frustration, I discovered that the white plastic strip that holds the encoder strip in place was actually bad, meaning that when the factory drilled or punched out the holes, they were slightly bulged out in the back and when tighting up the screws it would warp the encoder strip causing the engraving to be wavy or even skip. I had to file the holes and carefully tighten them so as not to warp the strip. I know it sounds crazy, but since I found the problem it has never happened again. I pull both encoders off about once every two weeks and clean with Dawn and water. No more problems, at least with that.
    Last edited by greg lindsey; 04-17-2011 at 4:46 AM.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Dee,

What were you engraving on - soapstone? I'm assuming from all the Epilog people that an "encoder" strip is inherent in their machines. Does ULS have one of those too? One area many people forget about and told to me by my ULS Rep is the tube that the laser runs thru into the cabinet. Dust and other particles can accumulate over time. Just run a Q-tip with lens cleaner to clean the backside of that lens. (May be a ULS specific item, not sure.)

After a thorough once over, my laser seems to be working better now. I think I'll still carry the tube in for a check, as it's nearing it's 6th birthday.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press