Thread: What $200 of plywood looks like

Smile What $200 of plywood looks like

Saw the following listed on CL:

Plywood $10 full sheet, $5 a half sheet:
    1/2" thick 24x48 -29pcs, 29x48.5 8pcs, + a few at 48x48.5,60x60,23x65,57x58,15x40..more.
    3/8" Thk; 60x60-3pcs
    3/16"Thk; 60x60-16pcs

The 1/2" stuff was Maple faced, poplar core. The 3/8" 60x60 stock was the real deal, baltic birch (which he wanted $10/sheet for.) The 3/16" ply was junk (The stuff they protect the good stuff with when they ship it) but I turned up some additional 3/4" and 1/2" BB sheets. I picked out about $185 worth (as much cash as I had with me.) I noticed there were some big remnants of Markalon (Lexan) and asked how much he wanted for them... and then I saw there were also a ton of off-cut ply pieces from about 8"x12" to about 12"x24". He said what about $200 for everything... we can take credit card if you like. For $15 more, I get 20 or so pieces of Lexan, plus a hundred or more smaller pieces of ply... "hell, yeah" I happily agreed, thinking he meant all the remnants + what I picked out. When I came back after the lunch break, his guy had loaded up absolutely everything. I was giddy.

They used a crane to lower it from the upper floor, down to where my truck was. Because of the 60"x60" stock we couldn't just drop it into my truck bed. So I spent the next hour or so playing Tetris, and packing the bed as well as I could. I had about zero suspension travel when I was done... but luckily only had about 4 miles to drive it. Got it home without incident. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of posting the photos/video on Facebook... a rash of shoulder/back injuries/and related ailments befell my friends who might have helped unload my truck.

Here's what it looked like:

On the pallet by denovich, on Flickr

Video of crane lowering the wood:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/denovich/5620416933/

Truckload of plywood. by denovich, on Flickr

I'm soooo glad I balked at paying close to $50 a sheet for the dodgy looking Purebond ply available at the big box stores.

I think this should keep me busy.

Nice score. Looks like it will keep you busy just unloading it.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Looks like you are SLIGHTLY overloaded. Nice score. I hope you had lots of straps and avoided the DOT. Have fun making lots of stuff.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Yeah, it was only a 5 minute drive on secondary roads to get home. I had the tailgate up, and boards vertical to the sides to fence it all in. Everything stayed put. The top of the stack was also only the largest pieces, including a bunch of 3/4" ply jigs (his tenant was a hot tub manufacturer that went out of business.)

There was also stuff in the back and front seats.

A good day... now I need to figure out where to put the damn stuff. Thanks to CL this year I've acquired about 1000bf of lumber, 30 odd sheets of veneered MDF (mostly 3/4") and now this pile.

nice score! Love the story.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Very nice. What Ya goin ta bild?

I was ordering from my plastic supplier one day and told him to add $100 to the bill and send me some misc scrap. I got 4 boxes totaling 280#, much of it HMW, and all kinds of cool stuff I didn't even know existed.

Love grab bags and screaming deals.

By the way I just bought some prefinished maple, wholesale 1/2 was $57, 3/4 was $78, so you did all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    V
    By the way I just bought some prefinished maple, wholesale 1/2 was $57, 3/4 was $78, so you did all right.
    +1 here. Nice score. I have a $1,700 pile of 3/4" inch stuff in my shop right now (cabinets on the hoof as I call the pile) that is not 1/2 as big as the one you have there.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Nice score, but, here is the inevitable YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Nice score, but, here is the inevitable YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you... It makes the deal that much sweeter.