Thread: Glue Brushes

Blog Entries

Glue Brushes

I don't know if you guys use them, but I just got some this past week and this was the best deal I could find. If you have a better source, please post.

http://www.amazon.com/Acid-Brush144-.../dp/B000H5AIAK
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thanks for the link.

Didn't do the math, to figure out what's a better deal, but I buy mine -- by the bag -- from Harbor Freight.

Most disposable things, from HF, work okay. The problem is ... many things from HF ... weren't really supposed to be disposable

I haven't tried the acid brushes from peachtree, I use the Lee Valley brushes.

I found the LV brushes had nice stiff bristles, well crimped so they didn't leave bristles in the glue areas.

Regards, Rod.

I use whatever ones I find the cheapest/on sale at the local stores.

When ever I grab one, it goes into the vise to "really crimp" it, the scissors come off the peg board to trim it shorter (so its a bit stiffer), it get used and either thrown, or into the water dish for later.

klw
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Thats a very good deal. I bought some from Horror Freight I think 36 for 3.99 and are pretty good.

I pull on the brush a few times to get all of the loose bristles out prior to use.

Old toothbrush! Rinse with water after using. Perfect for dovetails.
    -Brian

Blog Entries
    That's a good deal Von. I use the little paddles more than the brushes but, the brushes do come in handy and I keep a supply around. Thanks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use the acid brushes also - when I get low, I rummage around and find a deal somewhere and get a pack of, maybe, 25 at a time. But - for some time now, I find that I like 1/2" disposable chip brushes better for most work - trimmed back, they are almost the perfect fit for 3/4" - 13/16" board edges, etc. I get them in packs also - 25 or so - from wherever I get the best deal. That size isn't common at the local hardware or the BORGS, so I buy them on-line. Toss them in a thing of water, and then wash them out at the end of the task, and they last a good, long, while.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Those are too small for me in most cases. I like the cheap 1" woodhandled brushes, which I keep standing up in water in a plastic jar. I cut the bristles back (with a quick whack of a chisel) about 50%.

-Steve

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    At Harbor Freight they are 1/2 that price @ 36 for $1.99 and sometimes cheaper.
    I can't speak for quality issues because they are generally a one time use thing for me.
    I recommend HF for these and I am NOT a fan of HF but this is one of the exceptions.