Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic warping

Acrylic warping

Hi all,

I am working with .125" and .25" cast acrylic. I am cutting out several smaller holes in each piece and then cutting out an outline. Think of a 5"x5" square that then has several .5"x.5" cutouts within it.

I assume that since I am removing so much material, the heat from the lasering process is causing the acrylic to bend slightly so that it comes out bowed. I am using air assist, but was wondering if there are any tricks to prevent this - either during cutting or after. I thought I might be able to heat the piece once it's done and the sandwhich it between some boards to flatten it.

Any ideas?

Its a real problem for me, too. Best solution I've come up with is set up the smaller pieces so they are inside a larger carrier sheet which is clamped down during lasering. Don't cut the small piece entirely out with the laser, leave little tabs holding it to the carrier. Then you can manually cut it loose. Or you can wait a while and run a separate file to cut the tabs, when the material is cool.

If a lot of surface engraving to the acrylic, sometimes it will still curl and sometimes weeks later! ugh
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Sounds like you are not fully supporting the piece when it is being cut perhaps ?

Paul.

Dave, are you using some type of grid system, elevating the material off the table top, if not that may help. Also try cutting back on the power or increasing the speed. Please list what type of equipment you are using in your profile, this helps us to give you better advice when we know what your working with.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

A looong time ago, I read about someone putting it in the freezer to make it really cold before cutting... I wonder if this really works? Or helps?
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks everyone!

Paul - I am cutting the pieces from 12x24 or 12x12 sheets and have those laying on my cutting table. Shouldn't that be enough support?

Greg - I assume elevating the material would allow airflow thus keeping it cooler?

David and Dee - I'll try both techniques and see how they work.
    Universal VLS 3.50
    CorelDraw X6

How about sequencing the holes so the material has time to cool. After one is cut, jump to the farthest one away and cut that one and so on. Like using a torque wrench on a cylinder head.
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 04-13-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Chances are that a cutting grid would solve your problem. I suspect the the heat and trapped hot air beneath the work are causing the warpage.

You can get a grid here. and@en-gravs.com This is the email for Adam Desemone.

These are the ones I used to sell so I know they work.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-13-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Doug - I've not heard of sequencing before. Is that a manual process or something I should be able to do with Corel or my laser? I have a VLS 3.50.

Mike - I assume you meant to provide a link?
    Universal VLS 3.50
    CorelDraw X6

Blog Entries
    Dave,

Turn off vector sorting, then make sure the order of your vectors in the file is how you want them to cut (use "Move to front/back"). The tab suggestion is a good one.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by dave hensley View Post
    Doug - I've not heard of sequencing before. Is that a manual process or something I should be able to do with Corel or my laser? I have a VLS 3.50.
    Sequencing is just my jargon for controlling the cut order and direction of vector paths. You'll have to do this manually either using layers, color mapping, or building in the correct sequence from the get go. Oh, and any optimization in the driver should be disabled.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Thanks! That makes sense.
    Universal VLS 3.50
    CorelDraw X6

The object cut order can be specified by using the "Object Manager" docker.
    When you open this docker, you will see each object listed for each layer.
    The cut order is from bottom to top as they are listed within each layer.
    Simply drag each object up or down in this listing to establish the order you want them cut.
    ULS Laser 25W
    Rotary attachment
    Corel X3
    Photograv 2.11
    Smile... It keeps them guessing!

I'll go against the grain here and say none of that will solve your problem. Materials have stress in them. Some have more stress in them than others. Any product that is pushed through rollers or pressed will have stress on the faces of the material. It's an area where the molecules of the materials have been squished against each other (squished- a highly technical, scientific term I picked up along the way).

When it's in it's natural state, the material is fine, but as soon as you break that surface, the warping begins because you've removed a part of the material that had stress in it. The only way I know of to remove the stress is to stress relieve the material prior to cutting it. You heat the material up and all the molecules return to their normal spacing.

This is a very bad problems in materials like brass, so it's a known issues that machinists have dealt with for years.

My bet is if you stress relieved the material and then cut it, it would stay flat. However, I don't believe you'll take raw material like that and end up with a flat product.

I could be wrong, but that's my belief of the problem and solution.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Or you can go to www.macromonster.com and get "shelbys object & tab creator. That is of coarse if you are using CorelDraw X3 or X4. Can't tell from where I am sitting since you do not have it in your signature. I just bought it last night to have the option when I need it.

Doug, sequencing is not just your jargon. (Sorry didn't mean to bust your bubble) It is used in Artcam Pro and other CAD/CAM programs. I use it all the time so I can control the order in which the parts are cut.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=