Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staining Corian

Staining Corian

Hi,

Has anyone ever successfully stained Corian? I have a kitchen full of white Corian that will be available as soon as the contractors can fit me into their schedule and I'd like to turn it, but there's just so much you can do with white. I found an article on eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6623516_stai...nter-tops.html, but it's very vague when it comes to which products to use. I've "commented" on the article asking for specifics, but haven't received a reply. I followed the links in the Reference section, but when I contacted those companies they said their product can't be used on corian. I also went to two different Home Depots, since this site appears to be linked to Home Depot, but no one in the paint department knew anything about it. Any suggestions welcome!

Karen

Karen - no idea if this will help or not but check it out... staining.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Try turmeric. It stains everything else. If my college roommate's spill is any indication, 1/2 cup should be enough to stain the deck of an aircraft carrier yellow.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Karen - no idea if this will help or not but check it out... staining.
    Steve,

Not enough coffee this morning? That's the same link Karen posted in her question
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Well... that should teach me to not get in a hurry and to read the entire post before jumping on Google!

Sorry about that Karen! Hopefully someone here will be of some assistance!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Based on very limited research, I'm not sure you could reliably stain Corian... The Dupont website says it's non-porous, so you would be unlikely to get much penetration. Seems like it would be a good candidate for carving and texturing. Colored wax might be useful for adding interest to textured surfaces. Painting and airbrushing techniques might add interest as well.

There is a glazing technique that works really well on Corian. I saw some Corian projects that were glazed at Jim McGrew's Aspire gathering, great stuff and all of the supplies you need are available at the Borg's. Sorry but I can't remember the details but I may have a document I was given at Jim's event if I can find it I will provide some details.

FWIW you can paint Corian with just about any type of paint, inlays work well and you can fill it with contrasting colored adhesive. Last but not least you can dye-sublimate Corian.

David - Dupont says it can't be stained, but my kitchen counter begs to differ (maybe the former owner used turmeric...) When I found the article on eHow.com I thought someone had found something that worked so I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone had done it. Regarding "painting and airbrushing", I'm still left at what type of paint would work on corian.

Keith - I've contacted Jim to see if he can share any information with me. I've also starting reading what I can find on dye-sublimate on Corian. Thank you for the pointers.

I'm playing with making rings from Corian right now and wonder too about dying or staining it. I intend to do some tests later today and if I get any interesting information I'll pass it along here. As far as paint goes, I haven't tested it but would assume if the surface is scratched it would likely take most paints . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Well, it is a polymer, and I don't think that will take stains. I would expect that if you scuff the surface, pigment could fill in the scratches, but doubt it would stick. Well, it might temporarily. Personally I wouldn't want white counter tops. I am one of those who can get dirty in one of the sterile lab rooms...

robo hippy

I din't know what will work, but wine doesn't stain it and wine seems to stain everything. That's why I own so many burgundy shirts.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well, it is a polymer, and I don't think that will take stains. I would expect that if you scuff the surface, pigment could fill in the scratches, but doubt it would stick. Well, it might temporarily. Personally I wouldn't want white counter tops. I am one of those who can get dirty in one of the sterile lab rooms...

robo hippy
    I've wondered about enhancing something from bland corian by cutting a groove and filling with metal powder and CA glue. That works well on wood.

I don't have a good picture but I used this on the goblet here:
    Nonis_goblet2.jpg

I haven't tried that on corian but I might. I seem to have some extra shop time this spring...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've wondered about enhancing something from bland corian by cutting a groove and filling with metal powder and CA glue. That works well on wood.

I don't have a good picture but I used this on the goblet here:
    Nonis_goblet2.jpg

I haven't tried that on corian but I might. I seem to have some extra shop time this spring...

JKJ
    Nice inlay on white corian.....seems quite like the proverbial lipstick on a pig.

To me a stain is a product that is used on permeable materials, those that will allow the stain to be absorbed to some extent. Dupont Corian and all of the other solid surface materials are non-permeable. Paint and other types of finishes that adhere to a surface are the only option I know of that will work other than the glazing technique mentioned above.

I have mentioned this before, to the best of my knowledge I have used every type of paint from a large number of manufacturers on Corian and they work well whether sprayed or brushed. I prefer to use Ace Hardware brand spray paint because it doesn't load up sandpaper as bad. About 98% of the time I am using paint on Corian I either laser engrave or CNC Route a cavity and then spray paint the surface. Once the paint is dry I simply sand the surface to remove all of the surface paint. No masking required unless the cavity is not painted and the surface color needs to be changed.

For exterior service I prefer either enamel or acrylic enamel paint simply because I have lots of exterior signs installed that I used these two types of paint. I also use a lot of Testor's model paint for laser engraved evacuation maps. Many of these are painted with Q-Tips or artist brushes.

John, I often mix epoxy with small amounts of paint or sanding dust to fill laser engraved areas on handwriting pens. CA glue will work but I have more confidence in epoxy for its durability.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-24-2020 at 11:11 AM.