Thread: My Bandsaw Gloat...

My Bandsaw Gloat...

Just thought I would share my recent purchase with you guys. I've been looking at a new Rikon 14 inch band saw and had just about decided to go ahead with the purchase. I've been looking for a used saw for some time but have not found the right one...until last Thursday. For whatever reason I checked Ebay just for the heck of it and typed in Laguna just for fun. Next thing I know I'm pressing "Buy it now" on a 2006 Laguna LT18 for $700.00. The saw only has 2 to 3 actual hours on it but the table and fence rail are pretty rusty. After tuning it up a little it cuts fantastic and I'm very happy I waited on my purchase. I'm studying on how to best clean up the table, some of the rust spots are pretty bad. But overall I can't believe my luck. Love this forum...

Stirling

Congrats on your find. Have fun getting that baby rollin'. I just picked up a new 14" myself and as it is my first bandsaw I am in heaven. I just don't know how I went so long without having one. I'm not even slightly interested in touching my table saw right now!

I know what you mean. This is my first band saw as well. I guess I just didn't realize all that you can do with one. It's going to be fun learning!

Wow, you know, they say once you turn 40, your eyesight starts to fade. Must be true 'cause I don't see no stinkin' band saw...
    I drink, therefore I am.

You're right. What was I thinking? I forgot to mention, he threw in a couple of Rockler roller tables in the deal.

sawontrailer.jpg bandsaw 001.jpg

You suck.
    -Brian

posted in error.
    Last edited by Joseph Tarantino; 04-12-2011 at 10:49 AM.

if that's the saw laguna shows on their site for $3300+, you suck doesn't even come close to describing how good a deal this is. enjoy it. "you suck' tools always work better than full retail purchased tools!

Well, with PICS, you definately get a YOU SUCK!!!!!! That is awesome!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I saw my first Laguna 14 the other day in real life and WOW!, talk about a well build saw, an 18 for $700 is major suckage!!! Congrats on the find.

Lot of folks kill themselves with 3m pads, chemicals and a big mess, but I've refurbed a ton of rusted cast iron tops with a dry random orbit sander using grits 80-320, multiple discs of each.

I use a Festool, so the dust extraction is excellent - that probably helps. No chemicals, no mess.

Julian

Thanks for the info Julian. I previously tried naval jelly and that was a mess. I think I'm on the right track now. I appreciate it.

By the way, do any of you remember the singer Paul Davis (I Go Crazy)? Well, turns out that this was his saw. I bought it from his cousin in Meridian, Miss. who inherited it from the estate...

For rust, I would first use a good dose of machine oil, let it soak, than scrape with an extremely sharp plane blade. Then barkeepers friend with a scothbrite pad.

Total time should be less than an hour, without sanding off any metal.

My opinion, and I know there are plenty of other good ways.