Thread: Using Laser Engraver to assist in Kiln Formed Glass projects

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using Laser Engraver to assist in Kiln Formed Glass projects

Just thought I would share the results of a couple of project where I used the laser to assist in cutting stencils which I then use to help create design elements in my kiln formed glass.

I work a lot with glass powders to create design elements/imagery in my glass projects. Basically this involves sifting down thin layers of glass powders (either free hand or though custom cut stencils) directly onto the kiln shelf and tack fusing them together into what is called a glass powder wafer. These glass powder wafers are then used as components to incorporate into larger piece.

When creating custom cut/sized stencils, the typical 2 to 10 mil mylar material, though “fairly” easy to cut free hand with an exacto, heat knife, or in some cases a plotter, just wasn’t thick enough to allow one to lift the stencil off the kiln shelf without the powders falling off the stencil back onto the un-sifted area.

The thinner mylar also had a tendency to warp when doing designs where the elements in the stencil were close together (this warping wouldn’t allow the stencil to sit perfectly flat on the kiln shelf, again resulting in the sifted powders bleeding over to unwanted areas).

Laser to the rescue….I was able to locate a 60 mil laser safe stencil material that vector cuts pretty tight designs without warping and yet is thick enough to support the weight of the sifted powders to be lifted off without spillage back onto the un-sifted area. Of course this material would be almost impossible to cut by hand. The Laser makes pretty quick work of it so on can focus on the designs.

- Al
    Attached Images Attached Images