Thread: Ambitious Project

Ambitious Project

In the interest of keeping my mind occupied, and since I have lots of time on my hands now, I have decided to start another turning project. I finally got started on that half woman/half tiger relief carving, that has been in the planning stages for over a year, the other day; finished my "Trichtiology" project, and decided to carve a BIG bowl.

Here is a pic of the bowl which has been turned to a very rough stage. No sense in putting any sort of finish on it as the entire thing is going to be carved. I plan to call it either "Adam and Eve" or "Eden", can't make up my mind right now. The entire bowl will be covered with leaves, as is common with many turned bowls, but within the leaves will be the face of a male and a female. I have drawn my pattern but not applied it to the bowl yet. Once the faces are applied, I will fill in the background with a variety of leaves. I think this project is going to take me a while. When I finish this, I intend to carve a portrait of Joyce and hopefully that will give me some closure on that phase of my life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Wolf

I look forward to see how this carved bowl comes out. After I practice carving and turning more, I would love to add relief carvings to bowls. Are you going to use a power carving or a mallet and gouges. What sort of wood is the bowl made from. Look forward to your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    Wolf

I look forward to see how this carved bowl comes out. After I practice carving and turning more, I would love to add relief carvings to bowls. Are you going to use a power carving or a mallet and gouges. What sort of wood is the bowl made from. Look forward to your results.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the bowl is catalpa. Re the carving, I will be using both power and hand tools. The hand tools will probably be palm tools as I don't have the means to fasten the bowl down to allow me to use my mallet and long handled tools. I probably could fasten it down, if I really wanted to, but I move my pieces around too much so palm tools will be more convenient.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Ambitious indeed.
    I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Will it be done in time for the AAW symposium in KC this summer. I plan to be there but a lot can change in 6 months.

Will there be a face on opposite sides?

Dave Smith

Wasting time in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith
    Ambitious indeed.
    I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Will it be done in time for the AAW symposium in KC this summer. I plan to be there but a lot can change in 6 months.

Will there be a face on opposite sides?

Dave Smith

Wasting time in Longview, WA.
    No idea how long this project will take, Dave. I think it's gonna be a long time due to the splintery nature of catalpa and I decided I was not going to hurry this job.

There will be a face on each side, they are going to be right across the end grain. Fun, fun, fun.....
    Wolf Kiessling

Thats going to be nice Wolf!
    take some pics while your carving it out I would love to see how it progresses from start to finish!
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Real happy to see you back in the saddle and continuing on. Looks like a very ambitious project. Is catalpa a stable wood? I didn't know you could find that a big a chunk of the tree. Most of the trees I remember in Indiana were fairly small.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Wolf,
    I know it'll come out nice. I'm glad you're posting again. I always enjoy.
    John

That is a great looking project-- need lots of time and patience.
    Jerry