Thread: Corel Text Spacing Question

Corel Text Spacing Question

Greetings,

I have a piece of text. I want to move each character closer together so they are just touching. Is there a way to adjust the distance between characters?
    Thanks,

Shawn

Epilog Summit 25W
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 50W

I believe the setting is "Kerning" under the advanced text sidebar. In X5 its measured in a percentage of the original text spacing and can be set up or down.

Select the characters using the Text tool . If you are kerning two characters, place the Text tool cursor between them. In the Character Formatting docker, choose a value from the Range Kerning box.

What version or Corel are you running?

In Corel X3 and earlier versions I think. Type in the text. Then use the shape tool, normally thought of as the node editing tool. Grab the small square node, bottom left corner,
    of each letter and drag it where you want. Hold the control key as you drag and it keeps the letters from being able to move up or down.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

I have X4.

In this one, I select the characters, make sure that the Character Formatting sidebar is up, and adjust the Range Kerning.

Thanks very much!!
    Thanks,

Shawn

Epilog Summit 25W
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 50W

Someone posted an awesome tip a week or two ago. Select the text, hold down ctrl and shift and then use the < and > keys to change the kerning. Thanks again whoever posted that. I use it all the time now.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Ah ha! That does work. At first I was using the arrow buttons. Then I realized I had to select the characters and not the paragraph.
    Thanks,

Shawn

Epilog Summit 25W
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 50W

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Handley View Post
    I have X4.

In this one, I select the characters, make sure that the Character Formatting sidebar is up, and adjust the Range Kerning.

Thanks very much!!
    "Range Kerning"???

Shouldn't it be labeled as as "Tracking"?
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    "Range Kerning"??? Shouldn't it be labeled as as "Tracking"?
    Whether it should or shouldn't.... it's not in Corel X4.

Range Kerning.JPG
    Thanks,

Shawn

Epilog Summit 25W
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 50W

Personally, I think Corel is wrong. If they are trying to dumb it down for end users they should just call it "Total Character Spacing".
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 04-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Corel has funny ideas. MS Word (the MOST widely used word processing software) uses that key combination to change the size of the font. Therefore, Corel would have to use it for something different.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Yeah, I noticed Corel is never consistent with what is out there. AutoCAD for example. Conform Corel! Just do it!
    Thanks,

Shawn

Epilog Summit 25W
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 50W