Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Custom?) outboard equipment for Jet 1642

Dan,

Take a look at these threads. You will find several, including the one I built for my Jet.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=outboard

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=outboard

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Our club president had one built for him - A truck wheel with a pipe riser - about 3" diameter. A plate on top with two pieces of angle (about 3x3x1/4 about 1' long) welded to it such that the banjo can be moved to it. Plenty heavy, but can be rolled into place and to put it away.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Even with the Powermatic their is vibration without additional support under the extension way. I use my hydraulic table for additional support.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

This is really interesting. I can't wait to see where you go with it. I'd love something like this.
    Where is Jeff Nicol when I need him???!!!!

Blog Entries
    Kurt, thanks for that... but at $395 + shipping, that's even more expensive than an actual Powermatic bed extension. I question why someone would think that homemade piece is worth $400 :-/
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Bob,

I'm torn. Part of me is leaning towards the Busy Bee solution with a leg extender that would offer similar support right at the end as your hydraulic table (cast iron isn't very strong in tension, so I don't want to crack the legs where I run the extension bolts through). So far, I do not see any advantage over the PM extension versus the BB, as the extra beefy portion is where the bolts are... if it still vibrates as you say, the extension pole (or in your case, the table) is the solution to that.

That said, I do like the swing out version offered by the re-purposed gym equipment. At least for the time being, the lathe is in an area of the shop that is currently (sorta kinda) out of the way... add on that permanent extension and it really starts to protrude into the walkway.

Cathy, Jeff is a busy bee himself knocking down the honey-do list before his wife decides he's more full of hot air promises than actual talent I've decided to leave him along for as long as I can.

Dan, I also have a Jet 1642 and have wondered about outboard turning arrangements, like you have. It seems ridiculous that the Jet outboard turning stand is priced more than the Powermatic turning stand. I've wondered whether the 18" Powermatic bed extension would work on the Jet lathes, but haven't checked with anyone to confirm yet.

As far as other alternatives, I've looked at the Laguna outboard support system (for their 18/47), which appears to be similar to the Powermatic set-up, but less expensive at $145.00. Judging from the pictures alone, it appears to come with the bed extension, the banjo (articulated and tool rest post).

Another less expensive option than the independent outboard stands is the Vega outboard turning support assembly, Stock number 60006, which is shown on their website at $225.00, although the price sheet is dated 2008.

I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't know how to put in links to those sites, or I'd do it for you. Heck, in MS, we just got electricity last year, and just learned what the internet was end of last year. You know we're behind in everything!!

Here is a home made one that I made for my old Delta 450. It was a 1/2" steel plate fasten to a 4" cannel iron table. The banjo was 1" thick by by 4" wide. It was pretty stout. The only weak spot was the angle iron legs that were attached to the base cabinet could flex under heavy cuts. I think the best solution I've seen is something like the Oneway outboard. It is a egg crate design. with two adjustable legs.

Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Schaewe View Post
    This is really interesting. I can't wait to see where you go with it. I'd love something like this.
    Where is Jeff Nicol when I need him???!!!!
    What will my wife think! Cathy I am here, just putting lots of time getting done with other projects and my other money making hobbies. I did 15 deer skull plate mounts and 2 european skull mounts this last week and did a little turning to boot! I have been going to make one of these for a while now, I have all the materials for one, and now that I have taken a hiatus from taking orders I can get it perfected, then one never knows what I will do in a few months once the honey do list is shorter and the shelves are full at the galleries for the tourist season.

Keep the faith,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Dan, I had a machinist friend fabricate an articulated arm outboard rest for my 1642 and it works great. It is similar to Merrils, but more substantial. My friend overvuilt the heck out of the thing, but I'm glad in hindsight that he did since it helps dampen any vibration and is rock solid.

I used the tapped holes in the end of the bed to mount it rather than tapping the cast iron legs; I didn't like that idea. A 1/2" thick steel plate bolts to the bed holes and the angle iron is then bolted to that for the articulated arm to attach to. It was still a couple hundred bucks, but worth it in my opinion. You could probably have someone fabricate one cheaper than that, but my friend, being a machinist, didn't just cobble it together.

Dan, I went with this version, in fact Dave helped me with the build. I have yet to put the final touches on it, hence no pictures, but it is rock solid.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Vicmarc-style

I did switch to a round bar 30+ lbs of stainless steel.

Sounds cool! Looking forward to seeing the photos!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Mikey,

Thanks for the info on the Laguna... I never even thought about them considering their high-priced machines, but $145+shipping they're less than half of the cost of the similar Powermatic piece. Significantly more attractive, so the pull is becoming much stronger. I still like the idea of the articulated arm design, though, as I've walked past the lathe end several times now and know I would only be able to put a bed extension on if I took it off right after I was done... too much space taken up, right into the walkway.

I think I need Jeff to say "I'm happy to build one"

Dan, I have been watching this thread for a while waiting for someone to tell you you're nuts to be thinking about turning a 22 inch piece of wood right after assembling your first lathe. Since they haven't I will. Now that thats out of the way, I am including some pictures of one I built last year when I wanted to turn 14
    or 15 on my 12 inch lathe.
    2011-04-08_17-25-14_334.jpg
    When I picked up a larger lathe I just switched it over. It was made out of scraps that I had from other projects. Only bought the fine thread bolt for the tool rest post. If you want to do it all yourself without a welder, perhaps you might try the following.

2011-04-08_17-27-11_391.jpg
    A piece of angle iron bolted to the lathe end should work as well as what I welded together.
    The articulated arm is 1/4" thick 2"box tubing. I used 1/2" bolts with a couple washers in between. You could drill all the holes on your drill press. The tool post itself is 1 1/2 thin wall box tubing. It can slide up and down just inside the 2 inch box. If you knew the exact height you needed from the floor, you could through bolt the upright to the arm.

2011-04-08_17-21-41_315.jpg
    I added another piece of 2" box on the bottom because my 1 1/2 inch piece wasn't long enough. Came in handy when I switched to a taller lathe.

2011-04-08_17-24-13_382.jpg
    A 1" tool post just fits inside the 1 1/2 inch thinwall. I welded on a nut. I don't know if there is enough thickness there to drill and tap and put in two bolts at right angles to each other.
    So perhaps, you could do it all with just a drill press and a tap.
    It is also easy to remove by taking off one nut and storing out of the way.
    Good luck with a build if you decide to go that route but be carefull. A spinning 22 inch piece of wood has a lot of inertia if you get a catch or place some body part where you shouldn't.
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 04-10-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Dan, it seems that there are pretty much three options for outboard turning- 1) the free-standing stand; 2) the outboard bed extension with extra banjo; and 3) attachment to end of lathe with articulating arm and post that goes from floor up to where tool rest is attached.

From what I've heard and read, the majority of those who turn outboard recommend against the free-standing outboard turning stand like the one Jet sells. The big concern is over the potential failure of the stand breaking from metal fatigue or stress.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which of the other two "types" is better (not manufacturers, but types of outboard turning systems), or offers more stability when turning large pieces?