Thread: Metal Lathe

Metal Lathe

Can anyone give any advise on this metal lathe?

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=1271799306

I've been wanting to buy a small table top metal lathe, but don't want to break the bank doing it. This one looks like it would do everything I need and more.

If you're looking for a wee lathe like this you should know that it has a very limited capacity. There is no leadscrew so you won't be cutting threads - NOT GOOD. This one at $1395 is also very expensive! You can get this size of lathe, brand new for $500 to $600. Perhaps not with the LCD readout - boo hoo, no loss!

It says it has thread cutting in standard and metric

Blog Entries
    Rex,

What about this one?
    http://www.bigdogmetalworks.com/prod...&idcategory=15
    A bit less power, but a 9x30" bed to work with.

For the price of the LMS one you posted, I'd consider a Jet 9x20 like I have...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have this one as well as a few others: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3 This is the one with the wimpy belt I was referring to in the other thread. I set the whole lathe and stand up on 6" aluminum blocks to raise it up a bit. It's a pretty fair lathe for the money. In my opinion, bigger is better, so if you can afford a larger one, it will pay off in the end.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

I really like the Jet 9x20 with the stand. $1699.00 is a little more than I need to spend, but that was my first one I had looked at. I have a Jet 1220vs wood lathe and love it.

May just have to save my pennies a little longer, thanks guys....

Blog Entries
    No need to get the stand if you're locking it down to a workbench. That will save $250 of your purchase price. And Jet has sales several times throughout the year, so you'll probably get another couple hundred $ off. $1,300-1,400 is about what I would expect to spend on the Jet during a decent sale.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Williams View Post
    Can anyone give any advise on this metal lathe?

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=1271799306

I've been wanting to buy a small table top metal lathe, but don't want to break the bank doing it. This one looks like it would do everything I need and more.

Doh, I looked at the main page and didn't check the specs. I based my thoughts on the fact that I couldn't see a lead screw - mia culpa!

Be careful clamping this down to a bench top, you'll likely twist the ways pretty badly and this will kill performance! For $1600.00 you could get a decent 12/36 with tooling in the used market. I went this route and have no regrets.

I was in your shoes a few months back, and then my dad asked me if I was interested in his 12 x 37. Was I??!!!! Anyway, I don't wish to gloat, but I agree with the people who would recomend a larger machine from the used sector of the market. Craigslist? I know the small machines are nice too, but they are, well, small. As a ticketed machinist, I've learned that you rarely have too big a machine, but often have one too small for the next job. Happy hunting!

As others have said"bigger is better" For another $1K you can buy a new 12x36 lathe that can actually do something. I can guarantee that you will soon outgrow these little mini lathes.

Check out the Practical Machinst classified section.. you might get lucky and find a good used American lathe for not much more. Buying a used lathe is filled with dangers for the novice..been there done that..so beware.