Thread: Rikon Deluxe 14" BS

Rikon Deluxe 14" BS

I just bought a used Rikon 10-325 and have spent the last week or so cleaning and tuning. The drive belt was running with a twist in it...I loosened the speed/tension, reseated and re-tensioned. Rotated the lower wheel and same thing, except this time I noticed the belt had a slight tear in it. I combined a visit to my in-laws with a little shopping at Woodcraft (none in NJ, but one close to them in Allentown PA) where I picked up a new belt and some new ZCI's.

Anyone changed the drive belt on this saw? I printed the owner's manual off the Rikon website but there is nothing in it about making the change.

Also, while you may be reading this...anybody ever make the upgrade to the Baldor 2HP motor (13-932)? Impressions? Cost?

Not knowing much on that BS,but the cost of a new 2hp Baldor will probably be as much as what you paid for the BS itself.IMO a 2hp is alot of motor for a 14".Most here agree that 1 1/2 is good for resawing but again IMO a 1hp and a good sharp blade will do it all without much modifying to the saw.
    Where's the pic of the saw,remember the phase yrs ago"Where's the beef"It applys here,Where's the pic?Congrads on your addition----Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kestenbaum View Post
    I just bought a used Rikon 10-325 and have spent the last week or so cleaning and tuning. The drive belt was running with a twist in it...I loosened the speed/tension, reseated and re-tensioned. Rotated the lower wheel and same thing, except this time I noticed the belt had a slight tear in it. I combined a visit to my in-laws with a little shopping at Woodcraft (none in NJ, but one close to them in Allentown PA) where I picked up a new belt and some new ZCI's.

Anyone changed the drive belt on this saw? I printed the owner's manual off the Rikon website but there is nothing in it about making the change.

Also, while you may be reading this...anybody ever make the upgrade to the Baldor 2HP motor (13-932)? Impressions? Cost?
    I'm pretty sure you need to remove the lower wheel to change the belt. I've had my lower wheel off just to see how the lower pulley attached--it's part of the wheel so I didn't see a practical way to change the pulley, at least on the driven side. I'd try the motor that comes with the saw, it's done everything I need done so far. I suspect the OEM motor might run pretty hot if it was run under load for extended periods, it's pretty light compared to U.S. designed motors. I assume the motor is a standard C face mounting but you'd need to watch the shaft size or find a pulley that fits the poly V type belt.

Contact Rikon if you have belt changing questions, their Customer Service is usually rated pretty high, and responsive. As for the 2HP motor, I have the same bandsaw as you, and I've never felt the stock motor was a liability yet for just a 14" machine. Agree that a larger saw, with a 3HP motor is the norm, because it IS a larger blade like a 17 or 19" Bandsaw has. Could be worse, you could have a small 3/4" HP motor as stock, and really have something to wish for. And no, I've never changed my belt yet, so that's why I recommend contacting Rikon for better advice than I'd be able to give on this subject.

Thanks for weighing in...I sent an email to Rikon Tech Support over the weekend asking for instructions and they just wrote back. Curt had it right...take the wheel off, hang the belt on the small pulley and re-secure the wheel. I was surprised that their recommendation was to only tension the speed adjustment to 3/8"-1/2" of flex. Actually what small amounts of work I have done since bringing home have been curves in 4/4 walnut -- nothing demanding. I am excited to get on to some resawing though. I can't have any complaints (I've barely used it so far!) and the reviews and press seemed strong for this machine with the stock motor...in fact I didn't give the motor a second thought its just that when I was printing out the owner's manual from the website that I noticed that Rikon is offering an upgrade motor by arrangement with Baldor. There is a pic, diagram and specs on the products page just below the list of bandsaws. Just made me a little curious. I could not locate a price on line--it not listed on the WC site nor is it searchable on Amazon by its Rikon model number.

Carroll -- you are right I owe a picture! Its been staged in the garage while cleaning...I plan to move it into the basement shop in the next 48 hours and will get post the proof of gloat asap.
    Last edited by Matt Kestenbaum; 04-04-2011 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Name was wrong