Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting (?) cast iron

Angle grinder

I use a 5" disc in my angle grinder. Of course you could use a really big unit.

I would lay out the cut in ink or tape and then use the cut off disc to get the job done ASAP! For me and my shakey hands I find that this method is almost surgical in precision.

I agree with Chris. Use a gas powered construction saw to get the job done if it is a large bed. Otherwise electric will be fine. Wear a dust mask and be prepared to get blackened. Lots of graphite in CI. Don't let things get too hot. BTW, notice the spark color - very reddish compared to steel.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I will try Sawzall AND cutoff wheel in my Milwalkee grinder... We shall see......

Michael

I cut my grizzly band saw in half to add an extra 6.5 in. for slicing logs. I scored the deepest line I could with my 4.5 in. grinder (thin cut of wheel). Then finished with the sawzall.Its much more work with the sawzall. If you take your time it'll feel like cutting hard butter. I usually get my cut offs from Harbor Freight in packs. It wont hurt to cool the casting down with a hose .... sawzall blade.

Based on my own tools available: porta-band, horizontal bandsaw, or plasma cutter - not necessarily in that order of selection.