Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As the fear sets in...

As the fear sets in...

Well, I know most of us are in the same position, the fear of the day when the laser stops working. Of course it would happen when the shop is loaded with work.

Worked all weekend to try to get caught up. Laser was working fine... then all of a sudden I could no longer cut 1/8" colored acrylic. Checked all the usual suspects, cleaned optics, mirrors and checked alignment. Alas after attempting several passes I was able to get through enough to make it work.

What I noticed was, when running at 100 pwr the beam was actually skipping, turning off and on, no real set pattern, would cut for 1/4" and then skip an inch or so then cut 1/2" then skip again then cut for 4" and so on...but when lowering the power to say 80 it would burn a nice beam consistantly, no skipping, but not as usual with the power. My belief is it is the power supply, maybe the RF. Not thinking the tube, if it was losing power (gases)it would be skipping it all power levels.

Currrenty waiting on the powers at Epilog to discuss the issue and get back to me.

Just throwing this out there to see if any of you may have experienced this.

This is on the EX32 60 FYI.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

I like this idea and think that it should be turned into a discussion of what to look for as the laser begins to fail.
    GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

Slotted engraving at high powers and power falling to 1/2 normal is generally indicative of a RF board failure , normally 2 of em in a tube. Once one goes and you down to 1/2 power , its generally not far off that the other one fails and the tube is dead.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

We had the same problem last week with out Epilog. Turns out the cooling fans (or what controls them) was confused and not running at the speed they should have been and the tube was overheating. Re-booted and all is fine now. Same thing could have happened if air flow was not up to par, dirty or whatever.

Ok, Epilog has determined it to be the tube..85% sure, 15% is could be the RF as the two are seperate in this unit. Epilog will replace the tube at a cost of 3,500 and if it's not the tube, make a full refund and exchange the RF for 2,700. Or, Photo Vac has offered to recharge the tube for a cost of 2100.00, but they would be recharging my old tube, so if's RF thats bad, then it would still be the additional 2,700 from Epilog, can't find these things used. What to do, what to do...oh my brain hurts today. It's not like I'm shut down, it's still cutting romark fine and engraving ok, just leary about doing cermark parts.

Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lynch View Post
    We had the same problem last week with out Epilog. Turns out the cooling fans (or what controls them) was confused and not running at the speed they should have been and the tube was overheating. Re-booted and all is fine now. Same thing could have happened if air flow was not up to par, dirty or whatever.
    I was hoping that was the case, because I was running it hard, all day, but, I tried it first thing this morning and same thing.

Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition

Good luck Greg, let us know what you decide.

RF replacement should NEVER cost $2700 - on my synrad and coherent tubes RF issues are more like $800- $1000.
    What brand of tube is it? If its a generic , speak to tube suppliers/mnfgrs.. might be cheaper to send it to them. We recently had a tube die , machine suppliers said it's DEFINITELY the tube , synrad disagreed and synrad were right. It was a machine issue.
    I paid $4000 + for a replacement 30w coherent tube It only came with a 6 months warrantee and it failed on the 7th month - no recourse. At that point , I decided , "b---ger that"... I am now replacing all my machines as the tubes die with Chinese machines , their whole machine cost me less than a mainstream tube. I have opened a tube before and considering whats in it , I think we are being royally ripped off....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    RF replacement should NEVER cost $2700 - on my synrad and coherent tubes RF issues are more like $800- $1000.
    And considering what's on the RF boards, I would think $100 + handling fees is more than adequate. It's about $5 in parts (including board) for those things
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    And considering what's on the RF boards, I would think $100 + handling fees is more than adequate. It's about $5 in parts (including board) for those things
    Dan is there a place that can test and repair a board?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by greg lindsey View Post
    Ok, Epilog has determined it to be the tube..85% sure, 15% is could be the RF as the two are seperate in this unit. Epilog will replace the tube at a cost of 3,500 and if it's not the tube, make a full refund and exchange the RF for 2,700. Or, Photo Vac has offered to recharge the tube for a cost of 2100.00, but they would be recharging my old tube, so if's RF thats bad, then it would still be the additional 2,700 from Epilog, can't find these things used. What to do, what to do...oh my brain hurts today. It's not like I'm shut down, it's still cutting romark fine and engraving ok, just leary about doing cermark parts.
    Is the $3500 for just the tube or does that include the core deposit?

Can't someone test the board and the tube to find which is at fault?

WoW replacing a tube and a board at a cost of $6200.00 and that is
    subtracting core deposits?

That's something!!!!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Marty, the 3500.00 is without the core, however if i send the tube in advance with a UPS tracking number they will waive the deposit and deduct 200.00 for a cost of 3,300 plus frieght both ways. epilog and photo vac both test tubes, both are more 350.00 for that service, if I remember correctly, didn't ask about the RF, * note to self* call and ask. I'm not happy about the cost but I couldnt replace the machine for that either, it is in remarkably great shape considering...it came with 2 brand new rotary's and a new vector grid (which could be for sale).not the rotarys.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Is the $3500 for just the tube or does that include the core deposit?

Can't someone test the board and the tube to find which is at fault?

WoW replacing a tube and a board at a cost of $6200.00 and that is
    subtracting core deposits?

That's something!!!!
    Last edited by greg lindsey; 03-28-2011 at 3:59 PM. Reason: add info

Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition

I have to agree with Rodne. We are getting ripped off.

These kind of threads make you appreciate rotary engravers. I just emailed New Hermes to find out how much a replacement tube is for our machine. It's been showing signs of needing to be replaced and I have a feeling they are going to quote me a ridiculous price. I might have to follow Rodne and go looking for a Chinese machine.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

If you have to send the tube in, why not send in the RF board at the same time.
    Let THEM test both and determine which is the problem child.

If there are two RF Boards like Rodney mentioned, one might be able to grab a meter and compare the two.
    Same goes for power supplies.

Might even do a sniff test to see if anything smells burnt around the electronics.
    Look to see if any caps are leaking or bubbled up on the circuit boards.
    The tops should be perfectly flat:

See if there is any black charring around the PCB's.

Might just check that all cables in the laser are connected securely too.

Just simple suggestions that might help isolate the problem.
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 03-28-2011 at 5:06 PM.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4