Thread: Freedom Pen Turnathon in Greenville, Texas

Freedom Pen Turnathon in Greenville, Texas

Just wanted to tell everyone in the NE Texas area that Bob Thorman, owner of Woodways Furniture & Tools, Inc., is hosting a TAT this Saturday, January 29th, from 9 'til 3. His place is about 5 miles south of Greenville on Hwy 34.

There was a nice writeup in the Greenville Herald-Banner last week, including a picture of Bob turning a pen.

Bob is really excited about doing this! He has purchased 400 pen kits, and gave all the blanks to members of the Hunt County Woodturners to drill, glue, etc. to have ready for the TAT.

Besides Hunt County Woodturners, I know that the Tyler club (East TX Woodturners) will attend. Haven't heard from the Dallas, Ft. Worth, & Denton clubs, but I'm sure they will have representatives there also.

Anyone living or visiting in the area, come by Bob's shop and turn a pen or learn how to turn one. We are still delighted with the Freedom Pen Project and it's effort to show support for our troops!

Art Hendrix
    Member, Hunt County Woodturners

Art,

Please extend out thanks to Bob for hosting the turn-a-thon. We also appreciate your efforts as well.

Thanks to the Hunt County Woodturners, the East Texas Woodturners and all the other turning groups in the area for their support. You guys were definitely a hugh contributing factor to the success of the Freedom Pens Project in 2004 and I know you will continue to contribute big in 2005.

Thanks again for all our help.

Jackie Outten

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    LETS HEAR IT FOR TEXAS ! ! !

Attached Images Attached Images

Results of TAT

Hi all,

Just wanted to report that the TAT at Bob Thorman's woodshop today was a lot of fun. The tentative pen count was 230. There were quite a few turners there from both the Tyler Club, (East Texas Woodturners) and the Hunt County Woodturners. The Dallas Area Woodturners were also represented.

Bob was a great host. He made the cinnamon rolls himself to go with the morning coffee, and served pizza for lunch. I don't know the exact number of lathes; probably 12 or so, but they were busy all day. There was an enormous crowd most of the day, and many people turned their first pens. The Freedom Pen Project was applauded by everyone. I'd say there were at least 15 kids turning pens for the first time, as well as many adults. They all wrote heartwarming notes on the backs of the pen tags. The program was well received. We know we have recruited several new turners.

I'll try to send a couple pictures tomorrow.

Art Hendrix

God bless all of you!

Art,

All that participated are saints in my book! Please tell Margie that I need to come see you all too. She sure gives a mean hug
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Have FUN and GOOD TURNIN".

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mastin
    Art,

All that participated are saints in my book! Please tell Margie that I need to come see you all too. She sure gives a mean hug
    Mike, I couldn't agree more. It's the hugs from Margie, Sharon, and Synthia that keep us old timers going - and the Turn-a-Thons too.

Ed Heuslein
    East Texas Woodturners
    heuslein@earthlink.net