Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just updated my site--would love y'all's feedback

Just updated my site--would love y'all's feedback

I just updated my website and would like feedback.

I've tried to make it a good resource for woodworkers who are thinking about having their own lumber sawn.

Thanks!

Scott

Scott, I think the site is terrific. I'm a technical writer by trade, and very picky about the little details like grammar and spelling. You have that down, and you are providing the right information on the site in a manner that is easy to browse and read. Great job.

So, how much do you get for quartersawn white oak?

Dan Gill

Thanks! I've gotten some other feedback saying the page is too wide. Was this a problem for you?

$4 for the good stuff--$3 if it's common.

You may want to try to get the material to fit within a page so you don't have to scroll to see the whole thing, i.e., scroll left/right. Besides the chance of missing stuff, it is quite annoying. You'll note that the recommended picture size on this forum is 600 x 450 which fits on the screen without scrolling.

From what I saw, contents and presentation of website looks real good.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Scott,

I have a 19 inch monitor, set to a very high resolution, so your site looks fine to me. However, it is too wide according to standards. If you divided your site into quarters, it looks to be about a quarter too wide. This just from what I have read and other sites that I have looked at.

Thanks Jeff!

I'm going to look into that.

change from pixels to percentage

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph N. Myers
    You may want to try to get the material to fit within a page so you don't have to scroll to see the whole thing, i.e., scroll left/right.
    Scott - Right now your webpage is structured with a table that is basically made of two columns. One for the navigation and one for the content. You have the table and the columns' width set to a pixel dimension. Change the main table to width="100%" and remove the dimensions from the right column. This should allow the table to grow and shrink depending on how big a person has their browser.
    Jonathan P. Szczepanski
    ========================================

I will agree on the site being a skosh too wide. I will also agree that it is well laid out and seems quite easy to navigate. Overall, I would say it's a winner.

I find it kind of unusual that the guy that has done my sawing for me is named Scott also. His last name is Joles though, and he lives just a couple of miles from me. Might have some work for him later this year. Got a couple of white oaks that contracted oak wilt this past year as well as what I believe to be an elm that has died from what I'm guessing is dutch elm disease.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Banbury
    Thanks! I've gotten some other feedback saying the page is too wide. Was this a problem for you?

$4 for the good stuff--$3 if it's common.
    That was not a problem for me, but I'm at the office where I have a 21-inch monitor set to 1280 x 1024 pixels. At home on my 14-inch monitor might be a different proposition.

Looks great, except for the "fixed width" which will cause issues with many folks' video setups. Even though I use a large 19" LCD monitor, my browser window is only a portion of the screen and right now, the site requires scrolling to see the full horizontal width.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My only complaint is that I wish you were in NJ rather than TN.

Jack

Thumbs up

No, no Jack not NJ. Scott, please move to Ontario.

I like the site. Visitors are left with the feeling that you and your business are honest, ethical - good folks. The kids are beautiful.

My .02 :
    The inventory should be kept more up to date, or don't date it.
    Take another shot of your cousin without the beer.
    Have all the links coordinated ie. same on the list as within the text.

Scott -great site. Based on it, I would definitely deal with your company if you were local. -Steve

Oh, and how's the Beam Machine? Work ok Scott? thanks
    Last edited by Steve Inniss; 01-27-2005 at 7:28 PM.

Size was great for me. I'm using a Mac 17in. flat panel monitor (1280x1024).

I enjoyed looking at your site. I really like the style of writing and the pictures are great. Makes me want to move to TN just so you could saw some trees for me!!

John
    -- born in New Orleans but spoiled by California weather for 40 years...

Scott, you've done a great job with your site and I love your wood selection pictures. You are definitely on the right track. Wish you were in Texas!

Scott. Nice site! I had no problems with page size. or graphics. I use a 17" powerbook, and a 21" Apple Cinema display, with a dual G5. Your page is obviously Mac friendly
    You have a beautiful family. It's nice that they are able to participate and share in your interests.
    Now to be sort of a sticky beak If you want to be able to hear your grandchildren, consider some better hearing protection. Those woodmizer's are loud.
    Once again nice site,and sorry for being a nag