Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying a new desktop laser engraver

You've mentioned "Radience Optics" a couple of times. That's a marketing phrase for their product. You won't notice any difference in a photo engraved with "radience optics" and the competitors optics. If you plan on moving where you say, you might want to take another look at ULS. The ULS rep, Paul Castello is in Fredericksburg and he's one of the most knowledgeable guys on this coast. He's one of the handful of sales people out there that knows what he's talking about. I can't say that about the regional dealer for another brand. Paul has done more for me than any other sales rep on any piece of equipment we have. I'd consider that in your purchase. Also know one thing up front on all of them. The price you are given is normally the "asking" price. Laser prices are certainly negotiable.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Conley View Post
    then it will narrow my choices of lasers
    I see it more as limiting the substrates you work with. Woods might be OK. Plastics not OK. At least as far as the smell goes. Noise will still be a challenge.

I've noticed that income from my laser is relative to the noise and stink it produces. I'm not making money if I'm not making noise and stink.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Thanks, Scott. I have already received an initial quotation from Paul Costello because he is the ULS sales representative for Vienna. I am originally from Kentucky and the ULS rep there is located near my hometown and did a demo for my wife a few weeks ago. (We lease a home for our children in college about 30 minutes from his office.) I intend to follow up with Paul next week. He and his wife were very helpful and responded to my request for information and pricing extremely quickly.

As I understand it, Epilog's Radiance Optics feature is their version of Universal's HPDF Optics. Epilog claims that it reduces the beam from .005" to .0035". Universal claims a spot size reduction to .00125" but it is offered only as an expensive option. Before making a decision, I will ask each vendor to engrave the same photo on maple plaques from the same source. That will let me give me a common basis for comparison of both quality and speed.

You are probably right about the reduced spot size not making a difference but I will take a magnifying glass to the test pieces just in case.
    Mike Conley

Software Developer
    Epilog Mini 18 40 watts, Quatro fume extractor, CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5, CadLink Engravelab PhotoLaser Plus

Doug,

The reason that I said that using a fume extractor will reduce my choices for a laser is that if I spend $2-3,000 on an extractor, I will scratch off the more expensive lasers from my list to pay for it. I will take a look at the home brew designs but I am basically a software guy as opposed to a hardware guy and an apartment is not well suited for construction projects.
    Mike Conley

Software Developer
    Epilog Mini 18 40 watts, Quatro fume extractor, CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5, CadLink Engravelab PhotoLaser Plus

Yeah I have no idea what radiance optics is supposed to mean either, its a sales pitch, not an engineering term. Rastered details are much finer and thinner than vectored marks, finer than the .007" kerf for that lens, so maybe that's what they are playing up with the fancy name. I'm just very pleased with the engraving quality and since I often work with very small scale miniatures, that's important to me.

When I compared the samples I got in the mail from the various vendors, Epilog's looked best under magnification. Maybe that was just the care they put into the free samples, and maybe things have changed since then. Compare samples, also it would be good to get run times for them. Stuff can look a little sharper at lower speeds, sometimes its not practical to drop the speed... lotsa variables.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Blog Entries
    I certainly hope that you are wrong about operating from an apartment, Dan. The quietest Penn State models claim a 62 db noise level, and I plan to place a heavy rubber mat below the blower and then surround the machine with some noise absorbing panels if necessary.
    I have the DC2000B from Penn State, the same 62dB noise level you mention... in fact, I just got it hooked up and turned on for the first time a few hours ago (needed 240V hookups installed for that and my bandsaw).

I was...surprised, shall we say, at how loud this thing was. Nearly as loud as my Harbor Freight red beast... not as high-pitched, more of an industrial whoosh, but still as loud. Trust me, you won't run this in an apartment without serious complaints, even on the balcony. Ever heard the carpet-cleaning vans? Yeah, loud. You need to find a location other than the apartment.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I have the DC2000B from Penn State, the same 62dB noise level you mention... in fact, I just got it hooked up and turned on for the first time a few hours ago (needed 240V hookups installed for that and my bandsaw).

I was...surprised, shall we say, at how loud this thing was. Nearly as loud as my Harbor Freight red beast... not as high-pitched, more of an industrial whoosh, but still as loud. Trust me, you won't run this in an apartment without serious complaints, even on the balcony. Ever heard the carpet-cleaning vans? Yeah, loud. You need to find a location other than the apartment.
    The DC2000B is listed at 65 dB. The models that I was considering are only 1 to 1-1/2 HP and are listed at 62 dB - still noisy but quite a bit less so than the 2 HP models.

The responses here have convinced me that I need to plan ahead for noise suppression and use a fume extractor try to keep everything indoors - but I am not ready to give up on the idea of operating in my current location.
    Mike Conley

Software Developer

Blog Entries
    The DC2000B is listed at 65 dB. The models that I was considering are only 1 to 1-1/2 HP and are listed at 62 dB - still noisy but quite a bit less so than the 2 HP models.

The responses here have convinced me that I need to plan ahead for noise suppression and use a fume extractor try to keep everything indoors - but I am not ready to give up on the idea of operating in my current location.
    The Harbor Freight model is listed at 85dB... and it sounds practically the same as far as noise level compared to the DC2000B. Don't count on that 3dB difference actually equating to a 50% noise level reduction between the two PSI models. If you don't believe me, find someone local who can crank theirs up and see for yourself. You've been warned...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The Harbor Freight model is listed at 85dB... and it sounds practically the same as far as noise level compared to the DC2000B. Don't count on that 3dB difference actually equating to a 50% noise level reduction between the two PSI models. If you don't believe me, find someone local who can crank theirs up and see for yourself. You've been warned...
    Thanks to your first warning, I decided to take a different approach. I am considering a fume extractor partially enclosed with soundproofing material.

With my first laser, I made the mistake of getting a blower that was much, much larger than I needed, so I know how loud one can get. At that time, I lived in the country and my nearest neighbor lived a quarter mile away and he could hear my blower easily with from his yard. Whatever I decide to get, if it is 20 dB louder than the specs, then it will be returned. I will get that guarantee in writing before I buy anything.
    Mike Conley

Software Developer

Hi Mike,

I bought and returned the Penn State DC3 and went with the Red HF + Router Speed Control.
    I didn't find much noise difference and that the DC3 spikes around 24Amps at power on.
    That may be an issue in an apartment circuit panel.

(Sidenote: PennState sell's your soul to ever woodworking and tool mailing list there is.
    They did a typo on my order so that typo has been reflected on dozens of catalogs that I've suddenly started receiving.)

If you happen to have a dedicated room in your apartment, you could place the blower in a closet (with no common walls with your neighbors) as well as sound proofing, and vent outdoors through some activated carbon, that should take care of the noise and fume issues.

A heavy duty trash can with activated carbon and some 4" pipe could do what you need with minimal construction skills.

You mention wanting to do wood and acrylic 'and without air assist'...
    Those are two things that can catch on fire easily.

Yes, you said you never had an issue. Well, it only has to happen once, See:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?125121-For-Sale-CHEAP!-Epilog-Legend-36-EXT

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157053-Fire-A-Cautionary-Tale

In a multi-unit building, you could be held liable for loss of life and property if it was the cause of a fire.
    Not to mention all the people that could be displaced without a home.

Noise and fumes is just an annoyance, a fire is another matter all together.

I wouldn't go with less than an extinguisher UL rated at 20A:120BC ($120+ USD).

$0.02
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

I think you need to sit down and create a buisness plan. This sounds like a disaster out of the gate. Operating out of an appartment is a disaster waiting to happen. Sooooo many things to go wrong there. Lest just list a few.

Fire
    Noise
    Fumes
    Power issures

Keep in mind that if you vector cut you will need a compressor and those things vibrate and that noise will be transfered throught the walls and floors. I think you will have more problems with the fumes than you will with the noise. Venting to the out side in an apparment is not going to work. The fumes will get you busted and shutdown, Probably withing a month.

I also live in northern Virgina. I think you are going to be hard pressed to pay for your investment living anywhere much less out of an appartment. If you allready had a buisness and the laser is used to compliment it then maybe. One other thing fume extractors need frequent replacement of filters to remain effective. You have to compute that into the cost as well.

If you study your lease carfully there is probably a clause about operating a buisness or operating dangourous equipment. A laser is a device that can burn your house to the ground if it is not watched every second it is cutting. If I were living in your apartment complex and found out you were operating a laser. A simple phone call to the fire department would have you shut down in less than 24 hours.
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 03-28-2011 at 5:51 PM.

I'm afraid I agree with that. I can't imagine that your lease doesn't prohibit such activities.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Walters View Post
    Hi Mike,

I bought and returned the Penn State DC3 and went with the Red HF + Router Speed Control.
    I didn't find much noise difference and that the DC3 spikes around 24Amps at power on.
    That may be an issue in an apartment circuit panel.

(Sidenote: PennState sell's your soul to ever woodworking and tool mailing list there is.
    They did a typo on my order so that typo has been reflected on dozens of catalogs that I've suddenly started receiving.)

If you happen to have a dedicated room in your apartment, you could place the blower in a closet (with no common walls with your neighbors) as well as sound proofing, and vent outdoors through some activated carbon, that should take care of the noise and fume issues.

A heavy duty trash can with activated carbon and some 4" pipe could do what you need with minimal construction skills.

You mention wanting to do wood and acrylic 'and without air assist'...
    Those are two things that can catch on fire easily.

Yes, you said you never had an issue. Well, it only has to happen once, See:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?125121-For-Sale-CHEAP!-Epilog-Legend-36-EXT

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157053-Fire-A-Cautionary-Tale

In a multi-unit building, you could be held liable for loss of life and property if it was the cause of a fire.
    Not to mention all the people that could be displaced without a home.

Noise and fumes is just an annoyance, a fire is another matter all together.

I wouldn't go with less than an extinguisher UL rated at 20A:120BC ($120+ USD).

$0.02
    Thank you for the excellent advice. To be clear, I have no intention of operating without air assist this time around. We did not have air assist on the Epilog Radius engraver that we operated about 10 years ago and had no problem.

I have read the horror stories on this forum and realize that we were probably just lucky. This time, I will place a fire extinguisher and a backup fire extinguisher near the machine and the air assist will be running whenever the laser is running.
    Mike Conley

Software Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I'm afraid I agree with that. I can't imagine that your lease doesn't prohibit such activities.
    As I said in my original reply to this, and I whole heartedly agree with you mike. It just isn't worth the risk either. There would be absolutely no way to hold the complex harmless and if there was lives lost you could be in a heap of trouble. Good luck to you if you decide to pursue it.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I'll jump on the band wagon..........this is a disaster waiting to happen.

IMHO.....you'll be out of business and likely out on the street (or atleast not living in you current apartment complex) in less than a year.

You can't run a profitable business with only a laser engraver.....especially out of an apartment.....especially supporting two employees........especially by engraving photos.

Just trying to save you $10 or $20 grand before you make a huge mistake..........
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw