Thread: Sorby Thin Kerf Parting Tool

Sorby Thin Kerf Parting Tool

Have an Amazon gift card burning in my pocket and this has been one tool on my list but too cheap to buy myself. Any experience with the Sorby thin kerf parting tool?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have one and use it when turning finials. Works great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    I have one and like it. I was looking for the Chris Stott one recently, but they are no where to be found anymore.

So on Amazon I picked up the "PSI Woodworking LCTEN HHS Wood Lathe Tenon Tool" it's Only $16.16 and if your an Amazon Prime Member it ships Free and you'll have it within 2 days. I Love getting things within 2 days and free. lol
    (OK Free after you buy enough to pay for the yearly Prime membership, but thats pretty Easy to do.)

I wanted the longer angled point for some things. It's nice and STIFF too. 1/16" wide.
    31T9-TA1CRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I have it and use it all the time. An old steak knife works good too.

I just got mine a month ago and love it, I am very glad that I got it!

Thanks

I have been sitting on a gift card since last summer. Was using the lathe tonight and thought HEY!
    Will be placing an order tomorrow.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have one and much prefer it for parting things off. Be sure to get the one with the fluted blade, cuts very clean - not sure if the others mentioned here have that flute.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Ok, Just found out Sorby makes more than one parting tool. This is the one I was looking at.

34284-01-500.jpg

Is the Crown any better? http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...row_part?Args=
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-27-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    - Rick Dale

I dont know about the crown, but the one in the picture you posted here is the one I have, as I said I have only had it a month or so but love this tool, I use it all of the time now.

Dave, I made one like the Robert Sorby in the picture out of a sawsall blade and it works great. Easy to make.

Dave, I am like Donny, I have made a few different ones out of old saw blades and one from the blade of a pruning saw that I broke the tip off. They are easy to make and fun to try different angles and materials to find what works best. Then make a pretty one to use all the time! So far mine are all ugly but work great, just need some time to get everything pretty!

Have fun with your new tool,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I have one and really like it. I use it for cutting out rings when I make a laminated bowl.

Quinn