Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for high quality drill bits: any recommendations

Looking for high quality drill bits: any recommendations

i recently purchased what i thought (hoped) were high quality drill bits. after about 30 holes going through 3/4" plywood and a half inch into ash, the drill bit was bent! and no, it was not dropped nor pushed with excessive force. WHERE CAN I GET QUALITY BITS THAT HOLD UP AND CAN BE RESHARPENED? I AM LOOKING FOR A SET, BUT WILL BUY INDIVIDUALLY IF NEED BE.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
    ABRAM GODSHALL

I have the 28 piece set and love it. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester

Try Fuller

Blog Entries
    Fuller bits are great. I have a small set of the Lee Valley lipped bits (5/64" - 1/4" by 64ths) along with a few specific sizes for specific things I do and they are perfect. <=== I tried to come up with some other word but, perfect just about covers it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have to agree with others and recommend the Lee Valley brad point bits. They're definitely worth the premium. The Colt brad points are really nice too, but don't come in a comprehensive set.

For regular twist bits, Triumph is a great brand. Lee Valley also sells them http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240, but you can get them from other vendors for less sometimes, so it pays to search a bit.

I think the Lee Valley bits are Fullers. The cases are identical. Not completely sure though. Maybe Lee will chime in.

I've got the large set of brad points. Use them all the time.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Another vote for the Lee Valley brad point set and free shipping at LV for >$40 orders until (or through?) March 28.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    I think the Lee Valley bits are Fullers.
    Could be. Lee Valley states "Starting with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder."
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Norton View Post
    I have the 28 piece set and love it. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
    I have the same set. Money well spent IMO.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Look at the Norseman drill bits.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you want high quality bits (not brad point) then go to your local machine tool supplier, they'll have great bits at various price points.

Yet another vote for the Lee Valley set. They work great.

Mike

Abram Iread and articles on a comparison trial of Lee Valley and Fuller bradpoint bits. The article recommended Lee Valley over Fuller. I have a set of Lee Valley brad point bits they are very good and can be resharpened many times you can also get the brad points in longer lengths and they can be resharpend more times. In the 2010 catalogue from Lee Valley they start on page 32. NO, they are not cheap but I got burned ordering a set of bits from Northern Tool, "you usually get what you pay for". Hope this is helpful. Steve Horvath

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    +1. Norseman's Magnum drill bits are some of the highest quality bits available for drilling steel (and they work great in wood too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    Interesting, but where do you buy them?