Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna LT16HD or Felder HB600

I would at least consider the Agazzani and Eagle tools. Jesse most likely has what you need in stock. He will be more than honest about what product meets your needs. In many cases, Jesse down sold me. I just received a b20 and the attention to detail with the shipping crate says a lot. I also wanted to pick it up at the terminal and Jesse called the terminal to make sure they would help me loading it on a trailer. Jesse also fully tests and tunes each saw before shipment. Since he stocks the saw, if there's a problem he can just put it aside and pull a new one from inventory. Agazzani has recently increased resaw capacity by an inch based on feedback from Jesse. I know it's a tough decision. Good luck.

If you are waiting on Eagle tools to finish their website you may be waiting a while...

You can see the full Agazzani line here http://www.agazzani.it/agazzani-gb/b.../bandsaws.html note that the ones imported to the US through Eagle differ a little from the Italian lines.

One thing to understand is all the US imported ACM saws (Agazzani, Laguna and upper level Felder saws) are plucked from the bones of one of the Italian lines some are lighter duty and some are heavier. Apart from Laguna's guides all the saws from ACM are very similar if they come from the same line. The Agazzani B-24 is what I think of as the best value of all the Italian saws. With 23" of throat and near 17" of resaw it is quite capable, it is from a "lighter" line but don't confuse this with inadequate, it is a traditional bandsaw without the 24" of resaw height a modern 24" vertical resaw bandsaw would have (like the MM24, Laguna LT24x24 and the Agazzani B24-24) these saws HAVE to be heavier to resist the forces produces by tensioning a wide blade for resawing 24". Eagle Tools has an unmatched pre-shipment inspection and great customer service and Agazzani is a great saw. FYI Mark Duginski chose the Agazzani and he, well wrote the book on bandsaws, literally. Sam Maloof probably depended on his collection of bandsaws more than any machines in his shop and he had wall to wall Agazzani bandsaws. Again the reality is the Italian saws are all going to be very similar IF you are comparing saws with similar capacities, if a traditional 24" bandsaw (~17" of resaw) is your sweet spot the B-24 is the best priced of the Italians in that range. This is not to say I prefer Agazzani BS across the board which is not true but at its size/price point I think the B-24 stands out. When the Felder 600 was below 3,000 it made a compelling argument but with its price extremely close to the B-24 I would pick the B-24 every day.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If you are waiting on Eagle tools to finish their website you may be waiting a while.
    When I met Jesse last month, I teased him about his website. I think a big reason for the poor website is jesse's old school customer service. But I would love to have the business he misses due to the website. There would be a lot more Agazzani users if it were easier to find info.

This has been great info about euro saws. I have never heard a bad word about Agazanni. I have an lt 18, an older version from Laguna and it is a good saw but now sitting in storage. Once you get above the $3000 price range a buyer should at least consider used saws, particularly the old cast iron ones. I have an oliver 217 and a Yates snsowflake y20 (hence the storage for the laguna) and can say that as good as the new saws are, a well tuned old one is a step up. Granted, at the end of the day it is all about sawing a board and they all do that, but old is good in the bandsaw world. There have not been alot of technology advances made in spinning a band around two wheels. If the motor, spindle and wheels are good, they last forever. I bring this up because used prices over the past year or so are as low as I have seen them so there are some real bargains out there.

I will ditto what Van has said. I have a 10 year old LT18 made by ACM which has been a fine saw. I had upgraded the LT18 with ceramic guides right after they were introduced since I never really cared for the standard guides. This past December, I purchased an Agazzani B24 (new style) over the Felder FB600 which was the only other serious contender in my price range. It was a tough decision as at the time, the Felder FB600 was actually a few hundred less than the B24 but am not sure if it still holds true since the Felder was on sale at the time. I had looked at the Felder at the 2010 IWF but had never seen an Agazzani. There were two primary reasons I went with the Agazzani; (1) the smallest blade the Felder would take was 3/8" and the Agazzani was 3/16" and (2) the new style Agazzani B24 had about 1-3/4" greater resaw capacity. The guides are easy to adjust and I see no need to upgrade to ceramic guides so far. I really like my choice and probably would have been equally happy with the Felder. You will spend more for the Agazzani mobility base which is custom made for Eagle by HTC.

Other than resaw capacity, a Baldor motor, and improved table tilting, the LT16HD you are considering is similar to my older LT18. I have both the LT18 and B24 sitting side by side in my shop and the B24 makes the LT18 look like a toy. In a similar setting, I can only imagine the LT16HD would also look like a toy so I really don't think comparing the two saws is an apples to apples comparison. Just decide what is most important to you and choose the saw that best fits your needs as you will likely be happy with either one. Just don't buy less saw than you want or need based on price alone. And, as we all know, nothing is free and if it were, it wouldn't be worth having.

Good luck with your decision.

BTW - the LT18 has sold with absolutely no effort on my part and no advertising.
    Last edited by Steve Rowe; 03-25-2011 at 10:15 PM.

A bit taller, but it's mostly a width increase. So far I haven't had a need to attach an extension table to the side. The Laguna had one parked there full time ... mainly because it was fairly convenient to leave it there. It would be in the way if I left it on the Felder. The table is twice the size, literally. Turn the Laguna 90° and add another to the side. And almost exactly twice the weight. Takes some effort to elevate it and lock it in place at an angle. An assist of some sort would be nice. The Laguna was light enough that I didn't see it as an issue.

Price was definitely a factor on this, about as much as it being marked 'Felder' and the fact it already has the accessory rails on it. I mod'd the table on the Laguna and made my own rails, and wrestling an 85 lb casting around on a mill to drill and tap (I hate crooked holes) was more than enough effort. Going to a bigger Laguna, which I considered for the guides, would have been that much bigger a job. At the current price my choice might have been harder.

I ran a quick test with a 1/4" blade on it and it all seemed to work out fine. I don't know what reason they have for setting a minimum of 3/8", the guides are the same as any other Euro saw. And I think they're louder than the ceramics.

I'm going to try measuring deflection under blade tension and see what it looks like. Not that I have any reference to compare to ...

104-0492_IMG.JPG

I got the fb-600 after talking with Mark Duginske he has a agazzani and a felder in his shop. i was able to go and put my hands on both saws both where very similar. one thing mark mentioned that swayed my decision to by the felder was there are 150 mi from me and eagle is on the other coast some 3000mi or so. mark also mentioned that if he was blind folded and made a cut he wouldn't be able to tell which saw he was using. eagle tools are not the only ones sell agazzani in the US. atwood (or something like that) sells a different version then eagle.

Jeff, click the link at the bottom of my signature, "which bandsaw to buy threads". I just updated it, last post today, with links to about 4 threads we've had over the last 3 months on the Felder and Hammer saws vs. Laguna/MM/Agazzani/ACM etc., lots of good info.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Jim from Westport, MA here.

I also recommend consideration of second hand saws from home users. One caveat, freight classes for these will be 100, and should be moved laid on their spines (per Minimax).
    My MM20 was a bargain at $2100, but freight costs consumed ALL of my savings off list prices.

If you can find one within driving distance, hire a piano mover (I kid you not) - they're equipped to handle heavy gear and will be reasonable in price.

Motor size is less important than wheel and frame construction. A good blade that tracks poorly will never cut well...