Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washoe Native American Basket

David....I would have no way of even guessing the "time" it takes to do one of these!! Maybe it best that I don't know!! I usually have 3-4 pieces "in work" at any given time and therefore would be difficult to even guess on any particular one. Our wives are usually right so.....why don't you start one for her. Go have a look at the Tutorial just posted today and find a 8/4 x 10-12" piece of hard maple and follow the Tutorial. PM me if you need.
    Thanks
    Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

That's a beautiful job on that. What a project! I read about a tutorial on this kind of work, but I'm not finding it, can someone post the link or did I miss that from an earlier post?

Beautiful work. Takes the bowl/hollowform concept to a completely different level. Thanks for posting!

Jim,

Truly a beauty. You obviously have the talent and the artistic eye that many of us are pursuing. Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've begun to look forward to your posts since you joined here, and this piece is another stunner. Thanks for sharing this one and the tutorial.

Incredible

Fantastic Jim! I can only second everything else that has been said.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Jim that's an awesome piece or art there. I grew up around pottery, beading, weaving, jewelry and totally love the NA arts. Your replications are very credible to actual pieces without having to look at them side by side.. it is just "correct". I don't have the patience, time, talent or experience at this point but I sur aprreciat the works of those of you that do! Thanks for posting!
    mj

SUPERB ( Your basket reminds me of David Nittman's work.) WOW Astounding skill.. we lesser mortals cannot do anything but stare at it & drool. Thanks so much for sharing this with us all.

Thanks again to all who have kindly commented on this latest piece. I appreciate
    all the words spoken. To all a great weekend, be safe and make shavings. And to
    Mr. Keeton......Get that Jet dirty!!
    Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Jim, This is just incredible! I can't fathom finding the patience nor the artistic skills in me to do such a wonderful and the near perfection in this piece! You are truly a genious when it comes to the basket pattern turnings!

Keep amazing us,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jim, I'm sure that the original has many more flaws compared to your wonderful craftsmanship. As a 40-year resident of Lake Tahoe, I'm quite familiar with the Washoe tribe and their baskets. I have a friend that collects Washoe art and I've often thought of mimicking some of their designs in segmented form - so many little pieces.

Jim,

Your work is amazing! I can't imagine the patience this must take to accomplish. I think that if I tried to do this I would end up in the place where I would be making real baskets!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Phenomenal piece of art. I love it.

Jim,
    You've hit the bullseye again (just like the one you have on dispay at choice-woods.com). Good luck with the voting today!!!

Take care,
    Dick