Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washoe Native American Basket

Washoe Native American Basket

This is a Washoe basket copied from an original woven by Louisa Keyser who lived in the Lake Tahoe region of CA/NV. Size is approx. 10" D. X 8" H., turned endgrain from Maple. The original was called the Degikup and was finished around 1918. For those of you near Tulsa, OK the original is in the Philbrook Museum. The usual DNA soak, finished turned to final thickness, 1/8" beads inside & out, pyrography & dyes (dark bark & burnt siena) with a four-step finish inside & out. Comments/critiques always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Another amazing creation Jim! Every time I see your work I just can't help but smile! Love it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Whoa, beads/pyro/dyes on the outside is plenty impressive, but doing the same on the inside is even more so! I found a picture of the original at California Baskets - you've done a great job of recreating the original in a very different media!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

My first thought was stunning, as usual. I know you asked for critiques as well as comments but I wouldn't have any clue how to critique this, so I won't. Sometimes when I see items such as this I wonder if I could accomplish it as well. Then I wake up and go back to bowl turing.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I am unable to critique anything so far above my own skill level. Very nice work!

Very Special!

Beautiful work I can't imagine how much time that took.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

8. Exceptional, exquisite, a work of art, a rarity, ..........superlatives run out! Wonderful Jim!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jim, having seen, in person, one of your closed form baskets that is similar, let me just say that these pics don't even come close to depicting the detail work on this type of work. The inside work is every bit as clean as is the outside. And, it "feels" like a basket when it is held. Just wonderful work!

And, Jim, we are still waiting on Aaron to put the finishing touches on the tutorial!! Then folks can see what really goes into one of these pieces.

As a person who collects American Indian baskets, I have always been impressed by your work. But this is just incredible. Can you give me a rough idea of how many hours it takes you to do the turning, pyrography, and dying on a bowl like this? I just want to have some ammunition when my wife suggests that we add to our collection by having me try something like this!
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Every time you post one of these I find myself having a hard time believing they are not "real" baskets. Truly amazing work!
    David DeCristoforo

Another beauty, Jim. You gave me the drawings and photos for this one, like just in case I want to attempt it myself!! Yea, right. Maybe in my dreams. Thanks for showing this. BTW, I thought you were going to present us with a tutorial. What's up???

John.....You actually did hold & fondle this one.....It is one that I had when doing the Demo for BAW last Sept.

As you probably know by now, the Tutorial is up on the home page for the Creekers to view.
    Last edited by Jim Adkins; 03-24-2011 at 6:25 PM. Reason: goof-up

Thanks to all you good hearted Creekers for the nice words. I appreciate your postings. I very much enjoy doing these Native American forms....even to the point that I very seldom turn anything different!! Not very good!!
    Thanks to all

I'll bet it feels like a basket too! I'd wager that if the original and yours were set side by side, they would be indistinguishable from each other. I caught the tutorial on-line today. Although written far above my abilities to understand the line/segment creation process, I really want to try a dumbed down version on a small scale. I have the 3/16" & 1/8" D-way beaders and have found them to be everything you attest to. I'm still learning not to change the elevation of the bead top, more practice. Wonderful piece of museum art!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots