Thread: Help designing a display box base

Help designing a display box base

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering if I could get some insight into how to build an idea I've had for a while. I've had some pretty good success selling display cases to statue collectors online made out of cast acrylic and engraved with whatever they want. They turn out looking really really cool and I've been thinking of trying to do one with an edge lit led base. I'm just racking my brain with trying to find a way to make them not only cost effective, but look nice too. Basically, the lights would have to run around the perimeter of the base but also be hidden so its not just a bunch of wires and stuff glued to the top of a wooden base. any ideas at all would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    Legacy lasers 1100 series 80 wattTrotec 25 watt speedy 1 (10 years old)2 champion 1900 table engravers.UScutter 24" Laser plotter

SuperbrightLEDs(.com) might have something you could fit into a base. Look at the bars/strips, a base could be made to hold them. I looked at then for a class project, but choose to use basic components.
    Josh Richard
    Technology Education Teacher
    Gravograph LS 100 laser, AXYZ Millennium router table 3' X 3'
    Adobe Design applications, SolidWorks
    200+ high schoolers asking to make cool stuff

Dan,

Maybe if you post a picture of your display cases, people might have some better design suggestions for you.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

If you hollow out the bottom of the base (all or just where you want the wires). Dill the LED holes where you want. Push LED's from bottom. Wire from bottom. Cover bottom with piece of felt to hide wires.

Done