For some reason I've a hankering at trying my hand at making a tool tray type thing. I'd like to do one with the compound angle joinery, like a grain hopper, sort of a section of a pryamid type of thing. I saw some tips in a silly online video for laying out the actual dovetails, but it precludes having first made a compound angle butt joint. That's the part I'm trying to wrap my head around. Obviously, posting here, I'm interested in doing it by hand, but I don't have any real power tools. I also don't have anything like a fancy Nobex compund mitre box.

Obviously, it just boils down to mark out the line, cut to the line, and pare or plane to perfection. I'm reasonably confident in my ability to cut to a line at weird angles. It's the marking part that's got my head confused, although I also haven't sat down and fooled around with much it yet, either. All the layout techniques I've seen are more for aiding in setting up a tablesaw to keep the mitre gauge and bevel setting proper.

I'm thinking the easiest way to start is to do something similar to what some of the tablesaw techniques do, and make a large solid block with the angles of the finished joints, and use this to aid in marking the lines. But this might be more convoluted than I need to be; perhaps I'm missing something obvious? I figure there ought to be a way to figure this out so I could do my marking with a couple of of bevels.

Everywhere I've searched, I either end up with the same helper ideas for setting up a tablesaw, or lots of messages about what to angle to hone your plane blades at and stropping. (Wrong "compound" in the search results, I guess!)

I have no doubt I can figure out a way to do this, I just didn't know if any of the more experienced folk here had any tips or tricks to share. I'm not afraid of math, or buying a proper book. I'm thinking this may very well be the kick in the pants I need to finally pick up my own copy of Tage Frid's book?