Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attaching Faceplate to Tailstock Live Center on Jet 1642

Blog Entries
    Just a couple points of clarification...

The internal thread on the Oneway adapter is 3/4-10 as is the threading on the live center used on the PM (assuming the Jet as well - I expect them to be one in the same unit)

You can go out and buy both die and tap in 3/4-10 and they will thread in/on all parts involved. Now the link in Steve's post references a bit of a legal issue that was between Oneway and Jet/Powermatic/WMH.

I am assuming that one of the parties had to change their design slightly to clean up the legal issues and again, assuming, that this change manifested itself in a deviation from the standards for thread fit/class on the live center threading.

The short version / simplified... if you want to use the Oneway adaptor on a Jet/PM live center... you may need to modify it. In my case, it involved reaming the ID taking IRC 0.050" off the thread, effectively reducing the major/minor diameter of the thread. After this change, I have no problem using the Oneway adaptor.

I am soory if I hijacked this tread but is the PSI live center chuck adapter ok for turning or not? I don't want to hurt myself when I turn it on if that is not what it is used for.
    Darren in Oshawa

I think this might fit the job.

This is an essential accessory for use in Vacuum Chucking applications. It allows you to center a partially turned bowl on a vacuum chuck without removing the bowl from your lathe chuck or face plate. Simply screw this into your chuck or face plate and insert into your tailstock. The threaded area is made of aluminum then permanently attached to a hardened and ground steel Morse Taper Arbor. This is designed for accurately positioning only and is not for use under power.

*** NEW LOWER PRICE ***

ARBOR SIZE:

1" - 8 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
    1" - 12 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
    1-1/4" - 8 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
    1-1/2" - 8 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
    33 x 3.5mm has a #3 Morse Taper
    Other Sizes Available on request.

*** NOT FOR USE IN SPINDLES ***

TAILSTOCK CHUCK ADAPTERS/CHUCK REVERSING ADAPTERS

ET-XXXChuck_Size:

This can be purchased at bestwoodtools.com for $24.95.
    Last edited by Joyce Baldauf; 03-20-2011 at 5:51 PM.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

Thanks for all the ideas. Some apply to my situation more than others but the bottom line is sounds like there isn't a simple answer. I'm not sure about your suggestion Joyce, I don't have a vacuum system at this point so not sure if that would work for me?

David,

The item from Best Wood Tools will work to center a chuck or face plate mounted turning on a donut chuck in addition to a vacuum chuck.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!