Thread: What to do with flawed planes

What to do with flawed planes

I bought a collection of block planes on ebay recently and I'm happy to say there were a couple salvageable models and it was worth my while. However, there are several that are not, cracked soles, big chips in the throat area, etc. Other then recycling or just pitching them, is there any use they can be put to? Just feels funny to throw (essentially) good steel away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Herrington View Post
    I bought a collection of block planes on ebay recently and I'm happy to say there were a couple salvageable models and it was worth my while. However, there are several that are not, cracked soles, big chips in the throat area, etc. Other then recycling or just pitching them, is there any use they can be put to? Just feels funny to throw (essentially) good steel away.

Thanks
    Maybe you could take photos to show those of us who do not know what to look for yet what to look for!¿ That is a qood question though. What do yall do with the bad ones? I hope not put them back on ebay.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Blog Entries
    Salvage the useable parts and save or sell them. If you will be getting more planes in the future, a few spare parts always come in handy.

Depending on how much damage there is to a plane will determine if it is at all useable. I have some junkers around that I do not care much about what happens to them. If I have to knock a few shavings off of an unknown board, one of my "sacrificial" planes is used.

They are also handy as loaners to neighbors who know you have tools and want to borrow a plane.

On block planes, some of the parts do not always fit well over the years of production. It can be a hassle trying to sell parts if the seller and buyer are not both aware of the model and date.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use them for Electrolysis in cleaning other planes..
    I use it as the electrode and gets eated up and collects the rust off the good plane..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Funny. I am in the same situation. I bought one thing, and when I asked the guy if he head anything else he made me a sweet offer of 20 bucks for all kinds of stuff.

Well, I got a good price on what I wanted, but I now have a junk set of chinese chisels and three drop dead worthless block planes. One will be a toy for my son, but still, I just keep gathering JUNK.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    I use them for Electrolysis in cleaning other planes..
    I use it as the electrode and gets eated up and collects the rust off the good plane..
    Thats interesting. I have no idea how that works but I will.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

I have a How To on my website.. You need a Battery Charger and Borax
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Thanks guys, definitely wouldn't have thought of electrolysis will have to read up.

What to do with flawed planes

You could re-purpose the sole of a block plane with embedded diamond paste... then cobble the rest of the parts together to make one-heck-of-a "Lansky" style knife/marking knife sharpener/honing jig. Wouldn't take too much time to make but I reeeealy think you would have a hoot using it...

I've used an old block plane body with missing parts and a lapped sole as a "sanding block" with spray adhesive and wet/dry paper for various tasks in making electric guitars. (Spot fret leveling, final sanding of pearl inlay, etc.)

Dale & Joshua, you stole my ideas!

Pam