Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any scuba divers here

any scuba divers here

Are there any divers here, and if so where are your favorite dive spots

Thanks Mike

the simple reply is: "anywhere its wet" but I think you are looking for the exotic places, yes?
    Utila is very nice. Grand Turk is good. Belize is fair to wonderful depending on the site.
    Mike

BTW, my avatar was taken on Grand Turk
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Bahamas were nice, some of the rock quarries have been interesting, but I've heard great things about Thailand.

Blog Entries
    The Caribbean spoiled me. Hawaii and Cancun were just OK.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for starting this thread, Mike. I don't get to dive much anymore but I'm hope to make up for lost time in the near future, so I'm interested in site recommendations also. Anyone have any thoughts on the Dominican Republic. A friend has an apartment there (he lives here) and I can stay at place for free!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

There are so many different places to dive. It depends on what you are looking for. Big stuff Galapagos Islands. Easy diving aruba bahamas. shore diving bonaire.
    Hawaii is a great place also. Muck diving jersey shore. macro photo diving thailand.

Just depends

Wreck diving the off the coast of north carolina.

Just retuned from diving in the Cook Islands. Beautiful, warm, and great people.

I learned to dive a little over a year ago in Florida with my son. I have dived a number of the springs in Central Florida and really enjoyed them. The water is so clear. I had never heard of the springs and caves in Florida before and have been amazed at the number of them. I have given some thought to getting qualified for cave diving but not certain that I have the nerve for that. I have also dived off Miami on a reef and wreck and on a reef in Key West. With good conditions, diving on a reef anywhere is a real thrill.

We are planning a cruise to Grand Cayman and the Bahama's hopefully this fall. That has to be 1000% better than recovery diving in Michigan spring time water. Visibility here is measured in inches.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

We just got back from St Lucia, first time there. It was great. Going to Cozumel at the end of May (birthday present to myself) and Belize, next feb. Would love to squeeze a short trip between may & feb, something close, maybe the keys. Dream spots would be Fiji, Marshall Islands, Tonga, maybe Red Sea, But they're all so far away & expensive.

I used to spear fish off Sebastian Inlet in florida.

I have dove springs / caverns in central florida, several random reefs in the keys, but thats about it. My favorite was spearfishing, nothing .. NOTHING beats a fresh sea bass or grouper straight from the live well to the grill. Its one of the few things I really miss from my days of youth ....

Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    Are there any divers here, and if so where are your favorite dive spots
    Nearest body of water is my most favorite spot. I like fresh water diving so depending where I lived, I found the nearby lakes my favorites. If and when I traveled for diving, Belize (yes, that included Blue Hole as well) became my most favorite, particularly Ambergris Cay. Again, wonderful but not as hospitable as it used to be area once was Red Sea. Amazing diving but mostly pushing the envelope for "rec diving". Kelps of the coat of San Diego was our favorite when we lived in San Diego. I found Florida Springs (fresh water) very entertaining.

I have enjoyed diving all over the Caribbean but I would say that Cozumel has been my favorite overall. I have gotten into underwater photography(no fancy equipment) and have taken some memorable photos on my dives there. I am also partial to the iron ore pits near Crosby, MN. Good visibility and lots of fish! I shot a great photo there around 5 years ago of a turtle looking nose to nose with a small mouth bass. They then "fought" over the territory.

As a PADI Master Instructor I was fortunate to have a dive shop in Athens, Greece for three years back in the late 70's. The Aegean is ( or was) incredibly clear. I had the opportunity to assist on a 4th century AD roman ship recovery, incredible experience. I always enjoy Pennecamp in Florida as well as the many springs in Florida. Midwest quarries to the Red Sea, it doesn't matter, so long as you do it safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Leonard View Post
    I had the opportunity to assist on a 4th century AD roman ship recovery, incredible experience.
    Yassi Ada???

I know some folks from Texas A&M and Smithsonian who excavated one in Bodrum in late 80s.